Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby greens always seem to wilt so fast, and I'm just wondering if the stuff that isn't wilted, if it's in a ratio of 50/50 to the wilted, is totally safe to eat, even though it's been touching all the gross stuff?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I usually hand pick the good stuff out and then rinse it really well in a salad spinner. DH and I have never gotten sick from it. But make sure you pick out the wilted stuff cause even a bit of it makes the salad taste yucky.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I think it depends on the degree of "wilted". Do you mean it's a bit limp, or starting to get slimy? If it's just limp, I would just pick it out. Depending on the green, you could even use those greens for cooking. They're not at their freshest, but they're not decomposing yet. If they're starting to decompose, though, they're going to taint the rest of the greens with their nasty flavor :yuck:<br><br>
Have you ever seen those wierd green produce keeper bags? They look like a gimmick, but they really work for keeping things fresh longer. I really recommend them!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I should look for those! Well, they go pretty soggy and discoloured. I was wondering if the ones that look fine might actually be <i>unsafe</i> to eat, cuz I was feeling sick an hour or so after eating some, but I'm not sure that is the cause. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts