Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a lovely care package from another MDC mama in my DDC, and in it was something called "New Mama Herbal Bath", which I assume is to help with post-partum healing and relaxing, since it has witchazel in it. Basically it's witchazel and organic yarrow, the directions read: "Steep a cup of it in quart of water for 2 hours. Strain the herbs and pour herbal brew into a bath. Save the herbs for another use."

Well I was very excited because I know that witchazel has healing properties (we used to use with toddlers in a daycare when they got bit by other toddlers, it worked really well and did not seem to bother them as much as holding ice to the bite) and I had a hard time healing last time around.

My dh, who is graduating soon from nursing school, is concerned that the witchazel might not be good because I am going to breastfeed ('o course) and he is worried that the witchazel might go into my milk. But I'm not drinking it, I'm sitting in it. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could look to find out more about it, or if anyone has used this product without any negative side effects. It's made by Woodsy Wishes.

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can't imagine that using witch hazel topically would have any effect on your bm. I used witch hazel on my episiotomy stitches (
after dd was born and bf and she's completely fine. One of the nurses old me that in another hospital she worked at, they always gave moms witch hazel soaked pads for pp pains. I'm sure it's fine....did you look on kellymom.com?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Of course it's true that what you put on your skin does get absorbed (i.e., nicotine patchs) into your body and therefore could reach your breast milk. But, witch hazel is way less toxic than a lot of OTC/ prescription treatments.
Also, herbalists have been suggesting this use of witch hazel for post-partum moms for a LONG time. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it a bit.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, we've googled it and I was able to show him how it's been used for post-partum care and he's come around. I can understand his concern, since herbals are not put through the same testing as drugs and he's always checking and re-checking anything that's been recommended for me (including prescriptions) since I got pregnant with my daughter.

As annoying as it can be sometimes....it's nice that he is so involved in my care

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
I don't think drugs are put through the same testing most people believe that they are. If they were, they would always be recalling them or warning against unknown side effects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.