Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the BFW Introductory Workshop/Level One last weekend and enjoyed it very much. I was very inspired and want to work as a Mentor and possibly as a doula as well. I am now trying to decide how to best go about this. Unlike many of the other participants in the workshop, I have no experience working as a CBE or doula. I have my own birth experiences and a passion for birth, and I do have two MA degrees in unrelated fields, but that is it. I'm a little overwhelmed now about just starting out. I know if I enroll in the program I will get some assistance from my adviser, but will that be enough? Enough to get started and feel somewhat confident that I can do this? Again, I was so inspired by the workshop last weekend, and I feel that to really do this type of work (BFW), you need to be very committed to it and that it is almost like an art. I guess I am wondering in part if I have what it takes. Currently, I am a SAHM and entering into this work will mean some sacrifice on my part and that of my family. I am concerned about the time, energy, and money to get started, but I don't want to turn my back on this either. I'm feeling a little torn and trying to figure out how to forge ahead, and if this is indeed the right time in my life to start this kind of work. I supposed no one can really answer this for me -- I know it is very personal. But if you have anything to share in terms of your experiences starting out, or if you have any sage advice or words of encouragement, I'd appreciate hearing them.

· Registered
1,803 Posts
I am a BFW mentor who has not only never taught childbirth classes or attended births, but I have never given birth yet myself, either! Yes, your adviser will be a HUGE help to you as you get started, and you will also have access to the BFW forums, and will be able to listen to all the previous teleconferences (very helpful). The books that you are required to read are extremely helpful, and I really recommend Sheila Kitzinger's "Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth", as that one really helped me learn more about pregnancy (whereas before, I was mainly familiar with birth, not pregnancy).

It is so worth it. The program is amazing, and I am so excited to start mentoring classes. A couple weekends ago, I presented a "BFW Taster" to a local yoga center's prenatal class, and it was so empowering...and fun, too!

Good luck!

· Registered
567 Posts
I have not started up classes yet but am in the process of getting things going. It has taken ALOT of energy and time for me. Money too! I would be happy to share some specifics with you such as costs beyong the program, time, energy etc. It is a beautiful gift to give to people and to yourself. I think mentoring and exploring the BFW program can bring great change to your life.

But it is also high stress in the beginning. At least for me I'm the type of person that needs everything "perfect" to teach/mentor other people. And I feel like there is worlds more I want to absorb before I go on.

I am also a SAHM to three children. I am a doula. And now I will be a BFW mentor (one of these days..haha). I feel like 100% of my time outside my kids is spent on optimizing my website, reading, worrying, trying to find space for my classes, trying to absorb information, trying to think about advertising costs and where my students will be coming from.

I've decided to take things slower than I originally imagined. I thought I would sign up for BFW and have classes running in a couple of months but realistically I think I need several months of slower paced personal reflection and learning time before I go ahead and do it.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]

· Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement feminine_earth and DoulaAlicia!

I know I'll get to a point where I just need to jump in and go for it. I am just trying to figure out if I'm there yet.

I have a copy of Sheila Kitzinger's book and read it in preparation for the birth of my daughter. I will certainly read it again!

Thanks for all your information too Alicia. I can relate to what you said about wanting everything to be "perfect" before starting out. I am definitely of that mindset as well. I feel like I still have sooooooo much to figure out. I appreciate your offer to answer questions. Thanks! I just glanced at your website and it is great BTW! What a wealth of information! From an outsider's perspective it certainly looks like you are all set to start teaching.
I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Thanks again to both of you for your suggestions. I'm sure I'll be checking back in again soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.