Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given the task of designing my state's directory of midwives.<br><br>
In the past, there have been paragraph-long listings, organized by region, which are paid listings. Every region also has a table with simple contact information about any other midwifery practices we are familiar with.<br><br>
The last person who did the directory did it in appleworks. I would like to avoid using that program if possible.<br><br>
What I would like to do is establish a database for the paid listings (and also the simpler, unpaid listings, but those are so basic I could hand-enter them every time if I had to) that can be easily updated -- new listings added, old ones deleted, minor things changed, etc. and then upload that into a desktop publishing program that will make it pretty and allow me to insert the occasional photograph, etc.<br><br>
I don't have a traditional database program right now, though. I have a mac, with microsoft office (word and excel but no access or publisher), a bunch of adobe graphics and web and desktop publishing programs (including InDesign) and iWork Pages.<br><br>
Any thoughts?<br><br>
If I can't come up with a solution, I will probably just enter the whole thing in Word and order the listings by hand, then use the word document in InDesign. I would love to find a way to search for an individual file and make minor changes, though, or add a new file and automatically have it be put in the right place.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and if it makes a difference, the directory has been 8.5x11" landscape-style in the past. I would like to make it be the same because I think it will keep printing costs down.<br><br>
Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts