Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your experience with clients' insurances or flex plans paying for your services?

I used my flex plan with my son, but this time, I was told whoever paid that out paid it in error, they don't pay for doula services. A woman at my insurance company also said she doesn't think they cover it, but I could send in information and she'd run it by the claims department.

My doula says she's never heard of a flex plan that wouldn't let you have your $$ to pay your doula bill and she thinks I should send them info (she gave me one packet). She says some insurance companies have also started covering it and thinks I should get info to send showing how my having a doula could actually save them money.

Anyone know more??

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
My health insurance will not cover doulas, but I don't see why your flex plan won't cover the doula fee.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I was just looking at my own flex plan b/c it's time to re-up for next year.

My list of acceptable expenses comes directly from the IRS (as the flex plan is pre-tax) and specifically includes doulas as a category.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
I was just looking at my own flex plan b/c it's time to re-up for next year.

My list of acceptable expenses comes directly from the IRS (as the flex plan is pre-tax) and specifically includes doulas as a category.
Do you know where the IRS list is? Our plan says the same thing, but I can't find out more info on what is on the list.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'm going to fax some stuff to my insurance company first to try to get them to cover it. I'm also going to call my flex plan and work on getting approval for any/all of it in case it doesn't go through insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i advise my clients to try their insurance first. the more the companies see claims for doulas serrvices filed with the information on how it can save them money, the better. if tinsurance doesn't cover it, show your denial letter to the person in charge of your reimbursement account and they have to allow you to withdraw money to pay the expense. I had one client who followed this same format for a breast pump. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I called my flexible spending account administrator, and they said they wouldn't cover it. I sent it in anyway, along with a lot of accumulated chiro bills ... all of it together far exceeded the amount I had in the account (although was less than the amount I was supposed to accumulate by the end of the year, except, duh, I was on an unpaid leave, so was no longer contributing anything to the account). They reimbursed me for the total amount (doula + chiro). So not only did they reimburse for a service they said they wouldn't cover, but they wrote a check for more money than was in my account! That was over a year ago, and I haven't heard a word from them. Normally I would return the money (karma), but I was so annoyed by their treatment that I've kept it (they were very rude, and when I asked them (prior to submitting the claim) why it said I had more money available than was actually in the account, they treated me like I was an idiot to think they'd send me more money than I'd put in. Imagine!).

So, just because they say they don't cover it doesn't mean they won't. But I can't say if it's policy, or just stupidity, lol.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm off work till 1/8 now, and IF things go according to plan, I will have internet AT HOME on TUESDAY!!!!!! (they're supposed to come somewhere b/t 8-10 AM,......) I will be working on this. Thanks to all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts