Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD (6) would homeschool in a heart beat, she loves going to school but would much rather stay home with me, if she thought it was an option. My DS on the other hand really loves school, his teacher etc. He knows that homeschooling could be an option and never ask me about it (he used to ask me all the time last year). He would probably prefer to go to school this year because of his teacher (young guy teacher, plays guitar in the classroom and reads to the kids a lot). I would really feel awkward keeping one home and sending one to school. It's almost like if I am going to do it, I want everybody on board.

I know that if I took my daughter and little ones on a field trip (to the zoo for example) I would hate it that my DS was missing all the fun.

How do you handle this?

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
My oldest, who's 13, isn't homeschooled. She didn't want to be. I do feel bad when we do something fun during the day and she can't come, but we try to make up for it on weekends. She also totally understands that she's made the choice to stay in school and is ok with that. The hardest part for me is actually getting up in the morning and driving her to school since I don't have to do that with the other kids.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My dd11 and ds4 go to school and dd9 is homeschooled (since Feb '05). We found that she just couldn't learn in the school environment and even though she loved school, she prefers being home with me.

It would be so nice to have everyone homeschooling, but my other 2 love school and really want to be there. I think that if I knew about homeschooling before I had them all in school, they would be home.

I used to feel sad when they would miss out on the homeschool activities or our field trips, but the schools they are in do so much with them and they get to have different fun experiences. I have given my oldest the option to homeschool, but she says, "no way", and I respect that. With ds4, I may homeschool him in the future, but for now he begs to go to school every day. He goes to afternoon preschool and has a hard time waiting all morning. I'm comfortable with the situation. Also, having one-on-one time with dd9 has been great for her. She was in a rigid gifted school that piled on the work. She got very distracted with 24 other kids in the class and eventually lost her love of learning. Now, her enthusiam and curiosity are stronger than when she was a preschooler. She loves learning now and has become so self-motivated and confident.

When we have an outing planned, the other kids know it's part of her homeschooling. I also try and plan things for the weekend or holidays so we can all do things together. I even bring them to homeschool functions sometimes (ok, I'll admit the ulterior motive
).

So, it works for us for now. I have frequent talks with all the kids about their feelings. No one is resentful or jealous and things have been going really well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It is still very new to me,having two in school,one at home. But so far it is working out,and everybody seems content. My two youngest (ds-Kinder,dd-1st)love their teachers,the routine,etc. Good grief,my1st grade dd is all smiles every morning at 6:30! I keep thinking she is going to say she wishes she were home again,blah,blah,etc. But she hasn't even come close to saying anything negative about school. Ditto with my Kinder son.
OTOH,I have my very eccentric 13 yr. old ds who would never consider public school. He has been home from day 1.
I DO feel kinda weird sometimes that I do both,(homeschool & public school),especially when I have always said I would never put any of my children in school. I have realized that each of our children are unique and different,so therefor require different styles or what have you to bring forth their potential. I finally relented with dd and school when the Lord so strongly put upon my heart that she is her own person,and haS her own ideas about learning and what works best for her. Just because she is my daughter doesn't mean she thinks like me in everything. She is definitely more structured,where I am definitely a free spirit.
Ok-I'm blabbering.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
My oldest dd is in school and then I have two at home......she loves her school and does really well....the little ones (5 and 6) prefer it at home and that's fine with me....I tried to force oldest dd to stay home a few years ago and it was AWFUL.....she really resented me for keeping her home ....I think you have to take it one child at a time.....good luck and hth!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our oldest daughter is now 20 & graduated 2 years ago. Oldest son is 18 & graduated in June. Second son is 16 years old & in grade 11. Youngest daughter is 12 years old & in grade 7.

Chelsea (20) homeschooled for grade 9 & 10.
Brady (18) homeschooled for grade 8, 9 & 10.
Brodie (16) has never homeschooled & totally enjoys & does well in school.
Chynna (12) is in her first year of homeschooling & plans to continue right thru grade 12.

It has been different at times to have one in & another out, we're really honoring each child's uniqueness & their definite learning styles. All of them did very well in elementary school & though we reviewed each year, there were never any concerns that caused us to pull them out. Junior high was a different story for our two oldest. In the time that they came home to the time that Brodie started there, the school made some drastic changes to their admin staff & his experience was much more positive. Chynna had decided that she wanted to homeschool thru junior high & probably senior high as well because she has aspirations of becoming a paramedic & wants to get thru her course load faster (her pace).

What was really cool about having kids come home & then go back was that the teachers didn't even know that they had been homeschooled until we told them!

Good luck!

Cheryl, married to Bear
& mamma to Chelsea (20)
, Brady (18)
, Brodie (16)
, Chynna (12)
& Angels: Bretton, stillborn in 1996
& Ciara, stillborn in 1998

:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.