Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on buying this next year to start with the kids, but I think I am going to speed up my purchase bc DD is asking me daily to help her write letters. She is very young, but if she wants to, I'm all for it. DS will be in "kindergarten" in the fall. Should I buy them both pre-k and start from there? I don't think DD has the pencil control just yet, but she surprises me all the time so who knows? Or should I get prek for her and k for him? He can make most letters, though not completely correctly. I'm just thinking it would be easy to do the same thing with both of them if possible. Just my ramblings. I may be crazy LOL.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
If you're older can already write letters then just get the K for him. The pre-k book is just pre-writing things like following lines and really large letters and shapes.<br>
I would get it now though if your older one is writing. Starting with their directions on forming letters is important to follow the program and to have them understand the book. Things such as starting at the dot in the corner and phrases they use like big line, little line, etc. are important to learn right away.<br>
My son went to public K and learned to write terribly. I started him on the K book when he came home for 1st gr and had to reteach so much. Some things still are just ingranined (sp?) in him and he still forms things wrong which is not a huge deal in some cases but his writing is so hard to read for some letters because of it.<br>
And yes, pre-k for your younger one.<br>
It's a good program, I'm starting it with my 2nd one now who is 5.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I vote on the Pre-K for your younger kid and the K for your older child.<br><br>
I started my dd at 4 on K, I didn't know that there was a pre-K (I would have chosen it!!!), she was already starting to write letters but it was still quite frustrating...we just restarted it and she is so much happier with it!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I also would do Pre-K for your younger and K for your older. We love HWT, I'm about to get little ds (almost 4) the pre-K one, and start my 7 y.o. on the cursive one. We did HWT for my older for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think Pre-K for the youngest definately as it is pre-writing book designed to be used with crayons. The older child sounds ready for the HWT K book.<br><br>
-Pam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts