Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Does anyone have any experience with getting Doula services covered by MA?</p>

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
<p>There is an organization that can provide free doula services to families with low income:  <a href="http://www.everyday-miracles.org" target="_blank">www.everyday-miracles.org</a></p>
<p>The only downside there is that you do not get to choose your doula (from what i understand, I was going to have one there but then "my" doula came over, rather than me interviewing her).  </p>
<p>You could also try hiring a new doula/doula in training for a very reduced rate (PM me if you are interested in that option, I know a bunch!).  </p>
<p>I highly doubt that MA will cover the cost of a doula... at least they wouldn't a year ago when I gave birth :)  </p>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>They would be foolish not to cover the cost, as it would obviously result in better maternal and infant outcomes (a.k.a. less cost), but we all know that. I called Primewest, my MA "HMO", and asked about it. Their response was, "What's a doula?" Sigh. Anyway, after describing the service to them, they said if my doctor deems it necessary, I would just need to get something from him to this effect. I asked my OB about it, and he was very supportive of my having a doula there, but had no idea what Primewest wanted provided to them. I called Primewest again, and this time they said that the doula herself would need to call to have the service authorized. Very confusing. So, I was just wondering if anyone out there has had success with this, and if so, how?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Otherwise, I might try to find a doula-in-training, as you suggested lindsayjean.</p>

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
<p>That is what we are working on in legislation! Eventually it will get covered, it just hasn't happened yet!</p>

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>Thanks for the info. At least I know it's not worth pursuing at this point. How can I support the movement of this legislation?</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts