Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on the website looking at the sample forms. It looks great but a lot of work! I'm curious--does anyone assign chores to their DCs or DH/Ps and if so, do they check them off or do you?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I assign my kids little things every day in addition to their usual jobs. They get a kick out of checking things off.

And I have my dh do the things that are difficult for me or that I really don't want to do. Like he changed the air filters that I can't reach.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yeah, I agree! I seldom get every single thing done in a day, but we're getting there.

Some days, not even one thing gets done, and some days, almost all of them do. I just do what I feasibly can, and leave the rest 'til tomorrow. Or the next day.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I use the calendar as a weekly overview, rather than daily. That way I can do more on some days and less on others. I also blow off some of the things (sweeping the porch in February, for example). I do toilets and vacuum downstairs more frequently than they recommend. I never actually check anything off with a pen.

My DH has his regular chores, such as changing the sheets and vacuuming the upstairs. He was doing them before I started the MM planner. I don't have to worry about those, so that's nice.

Maybe you could follow the sample for a couple of weeks to see if it would work for you. You could also use it as inspiration to come up with your own system. nova22 came up with her own planner and it looked great!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do it all...but I have found that I usually can get everything done first thing in the morning(except the sweeping of the kitchen/counter,etc...I leave that to the evening). It seems like a lot of work but actually goes by pretty quickly once you get into the routine(we have been doing it here for 6 weeks or so). HTH!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I do most of it. But I also look at as a weekly checklist and not daily. Sometimes dp does a few things but that it completely by accident. As the kids get older though I will assign them one or two little tasks a week. As is they enjoy "cleaning" with me. I got them each their own little bucket and sponges for helping in the kitchen.

·
Registered
704 Posts
For me- it's doesnt all apply to my houes. We have no hallways, dining room, entry way, dishwasher, bathtub, etc. So- our lack of house actually translate to less work!

So, I check what I can each day and try to get dc's and dh to help with the daily stuff.

I like it because it takes ALL the chores you have to do in the WHOLE house and breaks it down into smaller bites.

Now...I just have to actually do it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ok- Don't do the MM planner-- though, it looks great, but very similar to what I do already.
I do have my kids do chores and have for a long time. We've used a calendar I made on the comp. With each kid doing their own color chore. Right now I have a chore jar and an empty jar so every day they draw out a paper and do that chore. (vacuum, scrub toilet, sweep, mop, etc) It works good.
But they do make beds/feed pets every day and are starting to do laundry- though they have always had to fold/put away.
They are always willing to help me with things that I need to do- dishes, cook, empty garbage. I think kids are more than willing to do chores, because it makes them feel important and needed, it also helps if you approach it in a fun way and smile/laugh when you are working together.
BTW- if you need to, show them how to do it and then leave the room so when they do it "wrong" you don't correct them. I figure if the floor gets mopped once a week eventually by the end of the month it will have gotten all the edges cleaned- and that's ok. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.