Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 25 months and she wants to nurse all. night. long. It is not fun. First of all it is pretty uncomfortable, and second of all, she insist on pulling off the other nipple when she's doing it. We talk about being gentle and she is sometimes very good about it, but when she's half asleep, she just doesn't remember and she gets very very pissed if I cover it up or move her hand.<br><br>
I let her nurse as often as she wants at night. I'm not trying to night wean her. The problem is that once she starts, she wants to nurse for an hour straight. Finally, I have to say that mama is tired and that I have to go to sleep. It makes her mad, but she will sometimes to go DH at least for a little while. I just wish that she could nurse for ten or even fifteen minutes and then go back to sleep. I would be FINE with that.<br><br>
AAAARGH. It is driving me BATTY.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I totally understand. We had the same type of problem with ds (just a couple weeks younger than your dd). I finally just couldn't stand it anymore, my nips were sooo sore due to his poor latch at night that nursing during the day was awful. We finally night weaned and I can honestly say I don't regret it one bit. He was really mad the first night, slightly mad the second, and fully adjusted by the third. Ds nurses as much as he wants during the day and it's much less painful. Plus he's sleeping pretty much straight through the night.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
DD was the same way and sometimes her nursing was so uncomfortable that I could not sleep while she nursed, like I did with my boys. Um, the grabbing the nipple thing I just cannot stand so I covered it and said NO and if she hollered about it, tough. I dont mean to sound mean but for me that just was a no negotiation thing, I have a right to my bodily integretiy, kwim? She got miffed, but she got over it. Try nursing beads or a toy she can hold that maybe she only gets at nighttime. My dd also learned to let go when I said "let go" at first she would still ready to nurse when I came back (I often would tell her mama had to go pee, true enough) but eventually she started falling asleep waiting for me then she started letting go without even waking in the first place. Its worth a try. Doesnt work on my ds, telling him to let go is laughable. But he is more likely to stay asleep if I latch him off than dd was. It doesnt always work, but often I can stick a finger in between his teeth then slowly gentely and gradually turn it til his teeth open enough to get my nipple out. I leave my finger in there for a bit and he sucks on that, then I very gradually ease it out and just lay there for a moment until Im sure he's good and asleep, then I can get up, or roll over and sleep or whatever.<br><br>
Dont know if any of those suggestions will work for you or not, but good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts