Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had a bit of guidance. From what I have read, my son does not have SID, however, he has an EXTREMELY cautious temperment. One of the ways this manifests itself is through food; he is 2.5 and has not tried a new food in well over a year (which is a lot of his life!). He was almost exclusively bf for the first two years of life and has recently cut down quite a bit; his appetite has increased somewhat, but not his sense of adventure toward food. He basically wants to eat the same 10 foods or so over and over (most are grains - dry toast, a PARTICULAR type of cracker, etc.- with only 1 fruit and two vegetables, and the vegetables have to be from a certain restaurant!). I know food jags are typical with toddlers and tend to peak at this age, but I am beginning to think he will NEVER try anything new. What I am wondering from you all is: if anyone has experience with OT concerning food issues and, if so, what kind of activities this therapy would entail that I might be able to replicate at home. (I have basically tried everything and now I just continue to offer, offer, offer). He is at the lower end of the growth chart, but has been since one year of age. He looks and acts very healthy. Any advice? Do I just ride it out? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
My son gets feeding therapy for his SID. I agree that what your dc is doing sounds like normal toddler behavior. It takes my son 8-10 "exposures" to a new food for him to try it. Exposures meaning him seeing it, touching it, playing with it, inspecting it closely, etc..

The way my OT has it set up for him is with any new food, first simply set it out for the child to look at, out of their "space" or comfort zone. The comfort zone for a child is however far their arm's reach is. So set the new food just past his arm's reach and let him look at it. If he becomes distressed, cover it up or take it away. If he shows interest, move it closer and let him play with the food or inspect it, at his pace. Let him mash the food, roll it around on the table (or his tray), smush it in his fingers, etc.. One way to help him explore the new food is to place some on the back of his hand, which is the least sensitive part of the hand. If he does okay with that, put a little on his upper lip and let him decide to either wipe it off or eat it. This whole "dance" usually takes place over several feedings, i.e., you let him look at the food at one meal, play with it at the next, explore and inspect at the next, etc..

You may not have to do such an intricate "dance" with your dc to try something new, you may be successful in only one feed with the look/inspect portion. He may also decide that it's fun to play with a food but he has no desire to eat it. And that's fine too. Don't rush, patience is key with this process. And only one new food at a time. It's tedious, but it works.

HTH!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I do food therapy with my student, VERY SUCCESSFULLY, I might add (about 125 new foods in 2 years.) and I do it like Finch explained. Slow steps, with many exposures to the same foods, with very little required each time and lots of reinforcement.

However, you want to start out with things you are sure your child will like - the really unhealthy stuff like candy, ice cream, cake, snack items, etc. because it's about trying a new food successfully until he is comfortable with that. Introducing the healthy stuff comes much later after he is able to easily try a new item.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
This is interesting. I've been really wondering about my DS (29 month old). He is a very picky eater. I have the hardest time trying to get him to eat and it is so frustrating. I can from a family where my parents didn't make "kid meals" we just ate everything and I thought DS would be like that but he isn't. He will eat most fruits which I'm very happy about. He especially loves blueberries, apples, grapes and oranges. He begs for Goldfish crackers all day everyday. He also loves cheese. The only dinners he'll eat are spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli with tomato sauce, pizza and recently he's been eating baked chicken nuggets. I'm not sure if this is normal or if there is an underlying problem. I posted before that he is very delayed (verbally and physically--didn't crawl until almost 13 months and didn't walk until 16 months) and he is very cautious about everything, too.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamsmama
This is interesting. I've been really wondering about my DS (29 month old). He is a very picky eater. I have the hardest time trying to get him to eat and it is so frustrating. I can from a family where my parents didn't make "kid meals" we just ate everything and I thought DS would be like that but he isn't. He will eat most fruits which I'm very happy about. He especially loves blueberries, apples, grapes and oranges. He begs for Goldfish crackers all day everyday. He also loves cheese. The only dinners he'll eat are spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli with tomato sauce, pizza and recently he's been eating baked chicken nuggets. I'm not sure if this is normal or if there is an underlying problem. I posted before that he is very delayed (verbally and physically--didn't crawl until almost 13 months and didn't walk until 16 months) and he is very cautious about everything, too.
Can't hurt to get him evaluated if you're concerned.
Some of it sounds like normal toddler eating, but the delays and the cautious about everything part sounds like it's worth investigating for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts