Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh and I are thinking about moving to Syracuse. I know nothing about the city and come from an area that has basically 0 crime. We are looking at a place on hatch street, zip 13205, I think. Is this a good or bad part of the city? If this is a bad place, which part would you recommend? TIA

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
yeah, definately stay away from that area. i'm sure the house is really cute and very affordable, but its just not a good area. the south side and west sides of the city are pretty bad crime and drug wise.

to be honest, since you dont know the city very well (and im not trying to be mean or anything), i would stay away from the city itself. for example, there are some streets on the north side that arent too bad, but if you go a couple streets over, its not so great. i wouldnt really trust too much on the north side because there was a stabbing/murder a few months ago, and one of the neighbors interviewed on tv said that the street had really gone downhill in the past 2 or 3 years. an area with an absolutely gorgeous gigantic house dh rented about 8 years ago is now a not so great area. (dh is kinda bumed that the area went downhill.)

eastwood and tipperary (tipp) hill are nice (and inexpensive) areas of the city. strathmore (i *think*) and this other area of the city (which i of course forgot the name of... the really nice area off teall) are good, but the one i cant remember is pretty expensive. when i was looking for a house almost 3 years ago, i saw some really nice houses in eastwood. you get some pretty good bang for your buck there.

north syracuse and east syracuse are their own seperate towns and not part of the city. i would stay away from the village of east syracuse because it has gotten a bit rough in the past few years. north syracuse is nice. its mostly middle class there.

cicero, ********* (although some parts of the village are "poor" from what i was told by a teacher at the local elemtary school, and property taxes are kinda high in the village for what the house is), baldwinsville, clay, pretty much any suburb is pretty good. if you want something a bit more rural, you can go to places either north or south of the city and still have a 1/2 hour or so drive to the city.

property taxes are higher in ny than in pa. this website will give you an idea of taxes for the homes you may be looking at. it may also give you the last sale price and date. (they changed the site around last year, so i'm not sure if they still show it.)
http://www.ongov.net/Realproptax/taxinformation.html

a couple other good syracuse property sites are cnyhomes.com (i liked this one better) and cnyrealtor.com.

out of curiosity, why are you planning to move to syracuse?

PM me with any other questions or comments.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info, ladies

Dh grew up in Greene and wants to move back to the area. I know Syracuse is farther north, but if I am going to move far anyway, I'd like to be as far north as possible. Dh can transfer just about anywhere with his job so we have some flexibility. We prpbably wouldn't move til the spring; I can't do a move right now with the baby so little and we need to save more money first.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
depending on if you want to be near a city or not, there's other places north of syracuse (and depending on how north you really want to go). i dont know much about the northern-most part of ny, but i'm sure there's other people on the board who could help you.
or if you want to be near syracuse itself, there are lots of pretty rural areas that arent that far away from the city.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.