Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've traced many of my bfing problems back to Raynaud's. The one thing that's perplexing is that, at 7 weeks, dd is doing a tremendous amount of damage to my nipples (I have cracks, a blister, a couple of tiny wounds, and peeling skin). Her latch has been checked half a dozen times, and I even had an experienced mama nurse for a few minutes to see if there was any problem that we couldn't see. A couple of people with Raynaud's told me that they thought that the constant lack of blood flow to the nipples compromised the tissue enough that they were susceptible to damage. Was this true for anyone? Does it sound plausible? We're at our wit's end...I can handle the pain from the Raynaud's, but I'm concerned that dd is damaging my nipples to the point where I won't be able to nurse.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I have raynauds (diagnosed at 10 years old- when my hands and feet started turning funky colors) I EP for my daughter(was unable to BF at birth, then got nipple preference) My nipples are a mess! Always blistered, cracked, scabbed and sore. I am EPing for almost 9 months now, and they still work. (I still get plenty of milk) Yes, it is very painful, but I deal with it. Just be sure to give your nipples a lot of time in the air at home. If there are open area's you need to watch out for mastitis! (I just got over it, it sucks!) But I do not think you will have problems other than pain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts