Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, fair warning...this is a gross question, so if you're in your 1st tri and nauseous, if you're eating dinner, or if you generally don't handle poop questions well, this isn't the thread for you..... :LOL

All righty.... I'm currently nursing my 18 month old, and am 27 weeks pregnant. Over the last couple weeks, the colostrum has come in, and during that time, my ds got a high fever and a cold. However, in the last 4 days, he has had the nastiest yellow explosive diapers I've seen since he was about a month old. So, my question is.....is this a normal reaction to colostrum, or is he having some sort of stomach issue? His tummy's gurgly sometimes, but he eats well and doesn't seem uncomfortable. But these nasty diapers come 3-7 times a day and they are *nasty*. Is this something he should be seen for, or is it normal for the poops to be like this when they're eating colostrum again?

Thanks to all of you ladies who could stomach that question...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I cannot offer too much help- just my experience. I am 27 weeks as well (we are due on the same day actually!) and DD is 21 months. I did notice colostrum coming in as well. DD only nurses 3-4x a day at this point but has been have normal (well, depending on how many blueberries she has eaten) poops. I do remember reading somewhere that if your toddler is getting the newborn milk, many times their poop returns to a more newborn type if they nurse a lot...

My guess would be the nasty poops have something to do with the cold/fever thing but I'm no expert!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
DD had the bfed baby poops for awhile after DS was born because of the amt of bmilk she was taking in but I don't think her poop changed that much while I was pg (except getting more "adult" because she started eating more food and having less bmilk).

I'd assume it was the illness.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sounds very similar to me, except maybe the frequency of the poops - could be a combo of the illness and the colostrum. We definitely experienced more newborn-like poos when colostrum first came in!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well, I am only 12 weeks but I have noticed a difference in DSs poops since I was about 6 weeks or so. They went from fairly solid and everyother day, to a bit more runny and at least once or twice a day. He then started teething (2 I teeth and 1 molar) which made it worse, it is getting better now, but still not the solid poops he use to have.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
It is normal for older nurslings to have "newborn poop" while nursing during pregnancy/when colostrum is in. Colostrum naturally helps clear out newborn's system of meconium as well as providing antibodies, etc.

It sounds like your ds has a combination of "newborn poop" and a touch of something, considering the frequency ... although I have known several pregnant nursing mamas whose nurslings' bowel movements also increased in frequency.

My 2 nurslings have had runnier poops lately and are pooping 2-3 times a day as opposed to 1 time. I'm 25.5 weeks pregnant.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Eva's poops are constantly changing in texture, smell, and frequency. I don't know if it's the pregnancy or her diet, but I usually don't worry if she doesn't seem sick.
Since he seems healthy and well, I'd just say it could very well be the colostrum. Perhaps his system will get used to it, and his poops will get more bearable soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.