Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD turned one at the beginning of June. When she was about 9 months old we started supplementing with formula because she was losing weight at an alarming rate. She had her last breastmilk about two weeks before her first birthday. Right now she is still having formula bottles and eats solid foods with us at every meal (75% of the time she eats whatever we're eating; the rest of the time she has premade or jarred baby food). We have no history of allergies in our family at all, but I'm a little anxious about introducing milk. On the other hand it is really hard on us to spend so much money on formula. I do wish she could still be breastfeeding and although it didn't work out for us this time, I still want to use the resources we do have to do what is best for her. Right now she's not feeling well so I will at least wait until she's been healthy for a while before introducing anything new.

So for those of you who have used or are using formula, when did/will you switch to milk? (Assuming your family drinks cow's milk of course!) Did you introduce any other dairy products first?

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
You might want to start introducing rice, goat's or even soy milk slowly while keeping on formula. THis might help the budget.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
We used Walmarts organic infant forumla because it was only 14 dollars a can. Now that my son turned one (TODAY!!) I've found milk from a local dairy we're going to be moving him to. They only have 40 cows, its all grassfed organic, and not ultra pasturized. He'll also be getting local goats milk. 1 bottle of each a day. Good luck Mama, I know how bad this sucks. I too planned on BF until my son was done. Unfortunately it didnt work out that way for us either.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
My DD1 was almost totally formula fed past the first few months, unfortunately. I kept her on formula until she was eating a really good variety of solid foods, including protein and iron-rich stuff. I introduced dairy products like yogurt and cheese around 9 months, but I waited on whole cow's milk until a year. Even then, she only had it occasionally. I didn't totally give up formula until around 20 months, and I considered going all the way until 2.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would use goat's or cow's milk before rice or definitely soya. Commercial cow's milk is far from perfect but it's better than soya.

Personally I would try yoghurt first, then cottage cheese, and then milk in cooking, and not move to milk as a drink till last. I don't think it's necessary to keep to formula till 2 (especially if she's been drinking a standard milk based formula, it's unlikely she'll have an allergy problem--she obviously tolerates cows milk protein and lactose). But a gradual changeover might be easier for you and baby.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
We got the okay at 12 months to introduce cow's milk. We did so in a sippy cup and they took right to it. We still give 2 bottles of formula a day in a bottle (they are 15 months old) Before giving them plain milk, they had things like mac&cheese that was made with milk mixed in, mashed potatoes, etc. My girls get organic whole cow's milk.

Alegna posted about giving formula for 2 years. I wouldnt recommend feeding straight formula for 2 years. Bfing and formula are 2 different things. The mother's body changes when the baby changes allowing the baby to get different nutrients at different levels of development whereas formula doesnt. Your baby could be lacking in something that they need at the time, that is where a variety of table food and cow's milk comes in.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
My DD is breastmilk and formula fed. She's 11.5 months old.

She's had dairy (cow) since about seven months, in the form of yogurt and cheeses (loves them, no reaction).

I've started adding some goat's milk to her diet just in the past week or so to see how she takes it. Right now, she won't take it straight up, but she will take it mixed with breastmilk. I'm sort of waiting to see what happens, since she's on the low end for iron (not quite anemic, but close), and I was told goat's milk might make it harder for her to absorb iron...we'll see if her "solids" intake compensates for that.

She usually takes about 20 oz (give or take a few ounces) of "milk" fluid a day, plus water. Usually, that's about 9-10 oz EBM, 3 oz goat's milk (mixed with EBM in a 1:3 ratio right now), and the rest in formula. She also drinks water (about 3oz straight a day, on a normal day, more if it's hot). I'll keep up with the formula (or, at least, a "next step" formula) until at least 18mos, but, it's usually only about 8-10oz a day at the most , which is a large can about every 3 weeks. And I have a feeling despite the promise to myself that I would "give up" pumping at a year, I've got a feeling she'll be drinking some EBM until about 18 mos, as well.

She also eats a good amount of solids, usually 2-3 "meals" and 3-4 "snacks" in a given day.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Alegna posted about giving formula for 2 years. I wouldnt recommend feeding straight formula for 2 years. Bfing and formula are 2 different things. The mother's body changes when the baby changes allowing the baby to get different nutrients at different levels of development whereas formula doesnt.
Actually it does-- that's why they make toddler or "follow-up" formula (which is cheaper than infant). No it's not anywhere near as good as breastmilk but some of us have no choice.

When DS turns one I plan to transition him to toddler formula, and then to cow's milk when he turns two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi!

Grace has full fat cows' milk on her cereal in the mornings but drinks formula the rest of the time. She also eats yogurts as well as food containing milk and cheese. We plan to drop the formula at 1 yr and move over onto cows' milk. Unless there's a history of allergies I see no reason to do otherwise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi!

Grace has full fat cows' milk on her cereal in the mornings but drinks formula the rest of the time. She also eats yogurts as well as food containing milk and cheese. We plan to drop the formula at 1 yr and move over onto cows' milk. Unless there's a history of allergies I see no reason to do otherwise.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
Alegna posted about giving formula for 2 years. I wouldnt recommend feeding straight formula for 2 years. Bfing and formula are 2 different things. The mother's body changes when the baby changes allowing the baby to get different nutrients at different levels of development whereas formula doesnt. Your baby could be lacking in something that they need at the time, that is where a variety of table food and cow's milk comes in.
I agree with a variety of table food, if baby is ready for it. But the problem with what is suggested here, is that cow's milk isn't any more nutritious than formula. Straight cow's milk is still meant for a baby cow, not a baby human. If formula must be used, I would also agree to use it for a full two years.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Actually it does-- that's why they make toddler or "follow-up" formula (which is cheaper than infant). No it's not anywhere near as good as breastmilk but some of us have no choice.

When DS turns one I plan to transition him to toddler formula, and then to cow's milk when he turns two.
You are right, there are toddler based formulas. I wasnt thinking of that fact when I typed my original post....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.