Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here...

This has probably been asked a 100X, but here goes...

I went to visit a Montessori school this week and I was really impressed. I thought the materials were so interesting, the classroom interesting, the setup very suitable for my child.

Here's my question...he is already 4. He will be going to public school K at 5 years and 9 mos.

I was thinking of enrolling him at 4 years and 3 months, giving him a year and a half in the school.

I do believe it would be compatible with his personality and learning style.

Do you think that is enough time to get the full effect of the program?

Also, is it worth it even if he switches to regular public K when the time comes? Will there be a problem switching to regular public K?

There are no other preschools in my area that I remotely like and the price of the one I looked at is fine, so money is not an issue.

Thank you so much in advance for any comments or advice you could give!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi! We are huge Montessori fans here! Emma is in her 3rd year (kindergarten) now and we are so impressed!

Quick answers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by northeastmama View Post
Do you think that is enough time to get the full effect of the program?
no

Quote:

Also, is it worth it even if he switches to regular public K when the time comes?
yes

Quote:

Will there be a problem switching to regular public K?
I don't know.

Now...

The montessori idea works in 3 year cycles. There is no way around it - your son will basically miss out on half of that time for his age cycle.

That said - I believe that ANY bit of Montessori education is beneficial and even wonderful!

As to how he will do when he switches to regular public K - it's hard to say. It depends a lot on your son and a lot on the new school. Many Ks, even in traditional schools, are quite child-led, so he might transition quite well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, thanks for your quick reply!

So, it would be still worth it for 18 months, although he would miss some of it.

Would it be stressful/hard for him/the teacher to jump into a Montessori classroom at this point?

Also, what does everyone else do after they do a preschool Montessori school, are there Montessoris that go up to 8th grade or even high school? We don't have any option like that around here, so I assume everyone at this school switches to a 'regular' school afterwards?

I think it's important for him to get a year or so preschool in before K, and this is the only school that I like. Such tough decisions.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Our school goes from 2 years to 15 years so we plan to stay there. If all the other kids are switching to PS, maybe the teachers know this, allow for this and it isn't traumatic. Maybe they'd let you talk to someone who already transitioned to PS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts