Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm apparently 4 wks and 4 days. I've taken, like, 7 tests since last Saturday, all positives. I keep testing because I can't believe it and I keep thinking it's just not going to be there the next time I test. I mean, it's apparently the size of a sesame seed right now! Couldn't it just get lost? :)

My question is, if it were to go away, how would I know at this point? Would I get my period? Would there be cramping? I could stop testing obsessive- compulsively if I knew that if I do miscarry, I'll know it when it happens.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Everything is well...and not in your hands. 0:) a test wouldn't tell you if anything went wrong, either. The hcg would very likely register well after a miscarriage. And if you google hook effect, you can see that you might start getting finer lines as time goes on, which of course would mean absolutely nothing about anything going wrong and everything about it going right.

Typical process is this...if baby can't survive, a woman would miscarry...sooner or later, her "period" would come and she would typically feel it very painful, usually with clots and such.

The little sesame seed will not get lost, because it is literally growing roots into the uterine lining, and tapping into your bloodstream. Instead of testing, invest in the book A Child is Born, which is chock full of color photos of every step of the process. It's a better use of your money and will surely prove more satisfying...once the poas novelty has worn off of course :wink:

Enjoy the process! It truly is a gift and blessing without measure or equal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand your worries/thoughts! This is my third and I am willing myself to believe/trust and relax! That is the best thing we can do for our little sesame seeds! I will admit that every time I go to the bathroom (which is quite often) I obsess over looking after I wipe. There would be spotting if something was not going as it should. I agree with spending money on a good read and putting mental energy into how little seed knows exactly what to do!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I feel for you and your concerns. But there is so little we know or that can be done to guess at a miscarriage. I miscarried twice, at 12 and 13.5 weeks, last year. The first time I got some spotting after a going for a run. I took it easy for a week, and went running again, and spotting again, a bit heavier. From then on I spotted on and off for 4 more weeks, before I miscarried, I lost most pregnancy symptoms (or they weakened) the spotting turned into bleeding, cramps came and intensified, they were quite regular, like contractions. It was very much like a small labor, when I finally lost the baby - I caught the baby and we buried at our local beach.

The second time I felt fine, less nauseas in general, but more tired and every pregnancy is different, and I lost that one without any earlier spotting at 13 weeks, pretty similarly as before. If I lose this baby I will bring it in for genetic testing.

That said, I was told, the running does not cause a miscarriage, but I cannot get myself to run anymore when pregnant - I will walk, but not run. Also, I spotted with my first child and have a healthy 5 year old now :) Also, I learned you can have an early heartbeat on an ultrasound, but you might still loose the child. There are risks, some of us have higher risks (age, genetic factors, thyroid problems etc.), but most of us will carry a happy baby to term :) Just keep hopeful, all these little creatures deserve all the love we have for them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the responses - they were all very calming. Okay, I wait. :2whistle

And @belltree I am so sorry for your loss, that sounds like it was very difficult. But thanks for sharing your story. :Hug

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Waiting is hard, but it is pretty much the only thing one can do during the first trimester. Eat healthy, exercise, sleep enough, take care of yourself. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I tested for eight days in a row. I found that after seeing a positive result, I'd feel a bit optimistic about the odds of the pregnancy continuing, then feel more pessimistic as the day went on. It stopped making me feel better, so I stopped testing. I had the same question you had though. My first miscarriage ("chemical pregnancy") was through IVF so I was closely monitored. I knew the pregnancy wasn't viable because of my falling beta numbers before I got my period. The second time I lost a twin and kept the other baby, so that was different. The waiting is killing me! I am only 5w1d.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts