Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend just had a baby yesterday (Welcome little one!)

He hasn't latched yet.

Not tongue tied (according to LC)

Was suctioned
:

Babe is over 24 hours old now.

Unmedicated birth. But long labor.

Worrisome? Suggestions? (she's working with an LC or two- I've told her to make sure they're IBCLC and I've told her to call her LLL leader)

-Angela

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Friend just had a baby yesterday (Welcome little one!)

He hasn't latched yet.

Not tongue tied (according to LC)

Was suctioned
:

Babe is over 24 hours old now.

Unmedicated birth. But long labor.

Worrisome? Suggestions? (she's working with an LC or two- I've told her to make sure they're IBCLC and I've told her to call her LLL leader)

-Angela
Is she engorged at all?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hasn't latched at all? Was babe offered the breast shortly after birth? I became engorged within 36 hours of both my births, one of which was section, so its possible. But both babies would still attempt to latch. Is he even attempting?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

I doubt it- it's less than 30 hours after birth.

I can ask though. What are you thinking? Too engorged to latch?

-Angela
Aboslutely, it actually happens quite a alot( I was immediately engorged after my first birth, it was unbelievable).

Also, is this her first? Sometimes the nipples need a little prep and I have talk to women who would pump for a minute to get the nipple to protrude more.

If she is engorged here is a little trick to try: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

Is baby sleepy? What does baby do when put to the breast?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by forestrymom View Post
Hasn't latched at all? Was babe offered the breast shortly after birth? I became engorged within 36 hours of both my births, one of which was section, so its possible. But both babies would still attempt to latch. Is he even attempting?
I'm working on getting details, it sounds as though he hasn't latched *AT ALL* that's why I'm worried.

An LC had him suck a finger and said he wasn't bringing his tongue forward, but I'm right now asking what *exactly* he does when tickled with a nipple.

-Angela

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
Aboslutely, it actually happens quite a alot( I was immediately engorged after my first birth, it was unbelievable).

Also, is this her first? Sometimes the nipples need a little prep and I have talk to women who would pump for a minute to get the nipple to protrude more.

If she is engorged here is a little trick to try: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

Is baby sleepy? What does baby do when put to the breast?

Yes, it's her first. She pumped some colostrum and fed with a dropper (apparently LC encouraged....)

Asking more questions now.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I second the RPS for engorgement, but would caution with the pump. It only made my nipples more swollen. There is new information about engorgement that indicates that its more than just milk causing the inflammation.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm personally wary of pumps too...

I just really want them to get off to a good start- if they do, I think she'll stick with it. If they have problems.... I'm not so sure- ya know?

-Angela

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Some more good questions:
How often is she trying to put baby to breast?
Is baby sleepy?
What happens when you tickle babies nose with nipple?
Another good question to ask her is, how does baby let her know he's hungry?(this helps you figure out if she is seeing all the hunger cues)

Is she in the hospital? Is baby rooming in with her?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Totally OT

Quote:

I second the RPS for engorgement, but would caution with the pump. It only made my nipples more swollen. There is new information about engorgement that indicates that its more than just milk causing the inflammation.
I would love to hear more about this. It was really amazing to me that I became so instantly engorged right after my first birth(c/s) and I was in recovery forever and I thought my breasts were going to explode.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I was also told that engorgement is part milk part other body fluids- standard edema if you will which is why reverse pressure softening works to make the nipple protude so that the babe has an easier time latching.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm asking questions... waiting for more answers

It was a birth center birth. They're at home now.

She's offering often is my impression (baby was asleep on her chest when we were IMing she *says* she's offering often)

Maybe sleepy? Probably (reading between the lines...)

-Angela

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

This is all I have for "literature" about engorgement as it relates to fluid buildup, and its only a sentence or two. I have read more extensively than that, but can't find it now. I think the BAB discusses it more in depth, but I'm not positive.
Thanks for posting it. It totally makes sense though becuase I had the c/s so I had an iv too.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

I'm asking questions... waiting for more answers

It was a birth center birth. They're at home now.

She's offering often is my impression (baby was asleep on her chest when we were IMing she *says* she's offering often)

Maybe sleepy? Probably (reading between the lines...)

-Angela
See if you can get a number of how many times, that will help a lot. Also ask her how her baby tells her he's hungry. It's important if she knows what the early hunger cues are and this is a good way to find out.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hmmmm...frustrating! I'd tell her to keep trying with IBCLCs.

I'd think about pumping and feeding via Hazelbaker (finger feeder), which will help the baby suck-train. Also think about posterior tongue-tie. Both of mine had this and we had to have dd1's clipped, but most people, even IBCLCs don't know how to diagnose it.

Does the baby not have enough interest to latch? Has he tried to latch and been unable? (I know it's hard to get all the facts when you're talking to someone who just gave birth!)

I think pumping is key. For some women, if they don't establish milk supply in the first 2 weeks, it never comes back. This is per my IBCLC, although for some women this is not the case...but don't want to test it out on oneself!

I know great LCs in the NY area, so PM me if she's nearby.

Craniosacral and chiropractic can sometimes help as well. I'd be most concerned that the baby gets milk or colostrum in though and that the mom gets her milk supply established. I've heard of babies not really nursing for the first 24 hours and it being fine but it would certainly make me nervous.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Also a bottle in the early days is not the end of the world. Sometimes it helps them learn to suck. Strange thought, but my LC thought this helped dd1 learn to suck (under the advice of our LC, we gave bottles of formula as a last resort, tapering off over two weeks). Definitely not my first choice of ways to learn, but it depends how stuck you are. I wouldn't do it without the advice of an LC though.

You know, I wonder about the suctioning and issues it may cause. So hard to say since most babies are suctioned these days...and nothing you can do about it in retrospect of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.