Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just started making my stash for my #2 and made some fitteds with Joann's microfleece (with it as the inside layer)....now Im not sure if I used the correct side for the outside (towards the babies bottom) or not. I read a thread (which now I can't seem to find)...that the more pilly side (which I would considered to be the wrong side) should face out and the more fuzzy/cuddly side should be facing inside the diaper...is this right?

I tested the diapers I made by dripping water on it and it beaded up on the MF...but then I had a scrap of the same fabric and did it on the other side (the more pilly side) that beaded too (but seemed to absorb if I put some pressure on the water spot)...is this how MF acts? I would hate to tear apart the 8 diapers I made with the MF....I was thinking of laying a washcloth or something in them to help with the absorbption so I dont have to take them apart (as the are nb sized and I think she will grow out of them quickly)...plus I have made others with no MF....but before I make other diapers with MF I want to make sure I know which side is which.

Also, I had a question on Microfiber towels...I bought a bunch at costco but they seem quite big even to fold into thirds and stuff in a nb or small diaper. What is the size you fold your stuffer to be? I am wondering if I should cut it in half and then fold in thirds and stitch. They measure 16" x 16".

Thanks so much

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert with microfleece but I don't think it will matter when you use your diapers if the non-pill side is facing baby. Washing may help with absorbency, but if not then using a doubler or washcloth is fine. With the microfiber towels I like to fold one end down to the length I need, then fold into thirds along the width. This makes one end a little thicker, since I have a boy I place that end up front. For a girl you could place the thick end in back. If you are wanting to sew a soaker from microfiber keep in mind that it shouldn't be directly against skin 'cuz it sucks moisture too efficiently and will dry baby's skin out. I layer it with a doubler, you could stitch it with a layer of flannel or even microfleece if you want to just lay it in the diaper. I like to make my doublers 5"x13" so I would cut three inches off the end and fold three or four times widthwise if you are going to sew the towels. Personally I like to just fold to fit because they dry faster.
Andi

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice on the microfleece and microfiber. I read that multiple washings tend to help absorbancy so hopefully that will do the trick with these...if not a doubler will definatly do the trick so I dont have any leaks...I just want to make sure I do it right for the rest using microfleece.

Thanks again :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts