Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question before I have to get my fussing baby...do I need to prewash my woven PUL before I sew dipes with them? Also, are there any "tricks" to sewing PUL--I've heard it can be slippery?

TIA!!!

Off to get baby (will I EVER get a shower today?!
)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
PUL is one of the few fabrics that I DON'T prewash, it wrinkles and curls after washing and is a PITB.

Presser feet like to stick to the shiny side of PUL. Sew with the PUL side down if you can. A walking foot or a teflon foot will also fix this if you have them. You can also use strips of tissue paper between the presser foot and the PUL if you are desperate. Don't be afraid to pin or use clips as you need to, and sometimes using a washable glue stick helps to hold layers together just as you need.

Good luck, and I hope you managed that shower!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I always use a teflon foot so the fabric feeds through properly, otherwise the PUL seems to stick a bit and my layers no longer match up correctly.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Good luck, and I hope you managed that shower!
I did, thanks!!

Thanks for the tips--I hope to get these dipes made soon...I've got yummy bamboo and cute PUL to use with my very baby aio pattern! I made some xs before dd was born, but I used procare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts