Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am hoping someone else had this same experience so that I do not feel like I am losing my mind! First, I had a miscarriage in March of this year. It was my first pregnancy so of course my mind automatically goes right to, what did I do to cause this? As what should've been my due date, tomorrow, came closer, my mind got back on this topic and I remembered that I had had the series of gardasil shots as a young teen. Here is where the confusion comes in. This had to have been some time between the years 2000 and 2002. However, when I research the vaccination, it shows that it was not released until 2006. How is this possible? My doctor who administered the series left that practice and my records were then misplaced, so I have no idea what the dates were. I have reached out to her office to see if they have my records, but if they don't, I will have no way of knowing! Is it possible for a doctor to administer a vaccination before it is FDA approved? Did anyone else have these vaccinations in that time period? My concern is that it could have caused an issue (doubtful because I was able to get pregnant) but still possible, with me being able to carry a healthy pregnancy. Anyone have this series in that time?

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I don't know a lot about this topic but I find your conclusions doubtful. The vast, vast majority of miscarriages are caused by chromosomal abnormalities. In other words, the baby was always that way and their genes were incompatible with life.

I seriously doubt that any vaccines you had years ago would cause you to miscarry. That's just not the way that works.

Also, it's highly unlikely that you received the Gardasil vaccine years before it was released. The doctor wouldn't have just been administering them, you would've had to have been part of a drug trial. A doctor that is not part of the trial would have no access to the vaccine so no way to give it to you. That being said, there are a number of other vaccines for teenagers. Maybe you received one of those.

Overall, I think the most likely scenario is that you had a random miscarriage which is unfortunately common. You did nothing to cause this. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Reactions: Jessica765

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm really sorry you had a miscarriage. I have to agree that it's highly unlikely anything you did affected that - especially not a vaccine you may or may not have had 14 years ago.

I wish you all the best and hope for a successful pregnancy for you soon. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts