Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Dharma tradings has a package for tie dye enough for 24 t-shirts ( I think ) .

So, considering toddler IPFs are A LOT thicker than a t-shirt, does that mean I need much more dye?? It must take a lot of dye to penetrate through all the layers of a IPFs don't you think??

I was just wondering how much to order

P.S. Would it be to messy to dye in a bathtub? Would the dye stain it?

· Registered
1,371 Posts
There are a few variables that will determine how many PF's you will be able to dye with the kit. First, the estimate on the kit dyeing 24 shirts is based on the weight of the shirts. So to get a rough idea of how many PF's you can dye you could guesstimate how much 24 adult cotton t's might weigh(probably a beefy-t type shirt size medium) then you could go from there and compare the weight of the prefolds.

Also, don't forget to consider wastage of the dye. I.E. dye that drips through the fabric(maybe excess dye application or loss through squeezing the item) Don't worry, I do alot of dyeing and I still get dye dripping through, most dyers do.

Before I had a covered patio where I could do my dyeing outside, I used to do the dyeing in the tub. You could get one or two milk crates and do the dyeing on these. I had a window screen that I would lay across the edges of the tub and do the dyeing on that. As far as staining, generally no, but sometimes you get a very light residual stain that will disappear with a normal cleaning.

Hope that helps!
Kathy

· Registered
520 Posts
ohhh good tips! We used peribottles or similiar and filled up color dyes in them and squeeze them over the tied pieces on the patio/grass and then put it in plastic bag to leave it soaked in... it worked just perfect for us

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.