Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a most basic question thats probably been answered a million times before.. .

I really want to start cloth diapering my children. I have a 2.5 year old, a 10 month old and I am 10 weeks pregnant.

My 2.5 year old is pretty much potty trained, but I have been having her use pull-ups for car rides, and nap/night time. I just got a new batch of pull ups and my pregnant nose was disgusted by the smell of them. They have a chemical smell!!!! I never knew that disposible diapers could be harmful. Well, I used a couple on her and she has been developing many small pimples all over her butt. I am going to return them tomorrow.

So, basically my question is, What is the easiest, quickest, and less expensive way to get started for my children? And is there something out there to use on toddlers for night/nap time?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Toddlers seem to do well with a pocket system, because you can adjust the absorbancy to meet your needs. Prefolds are good too, if they'll stay still while you get them on.
If you go with a one-size diaper, your 2.5 year old and 10 month old could share one system.

I have a Cloth Diapering 101 Article on my website, or I'm happy to email it to you if you need basic info on all the types of diapers.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just started cloth diapering, I mean yesterday actually, but after much research I decided on prefolds with covers- the cheapest system. I have a 2 month old and a 3 year old, so I bought the one size fits all covers. They actually do fit both boys! I am preferring the velcro to the snaps now, but I bought some of each. Supposedly the snaps hold up better in the long run. I spent $300 (gulp) but hopefully this stuff will last me a long time and I won't have to buy anything else for awhile.

I know it can be overwhelming; that's why it took me so long to start!

I purchased:
2 dozen prefolds in a medium size (I will be adding 1 dozen large ones though)
10 covers (one size fits all) though I think I could probably have done with 6-8
4 snappis (2 big 2 little)
2 wet bags
2 diaper pail liners
1 hose squirty thing for the toilet (though you can try just using a spatula or something before committing)

Also detergent is apparently a big to-do. Many people go with Tide original and lots of the other brands are difficult to find or expensive, just a heads-up.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I'm a fan of the prefolds with covers. Generally the cheapest option & washing seems to be less complicated too because the prefolds can really take a beating (I even use bleach occassionally because the water at our old place was problematic for us). Plus the prefolds & one size covers are really flexible for baby size so you can use the same diapers for multiple children for a long time.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
There are so many options! And each style has certain advantages and disadvantages. Prefolds are the cheapest, and easiest to care for as far as washing goes. You would probably only need a couple sizes, and they almost never leak as long as you have a good cover. There is a bit of a learning curve, while you learn how to fold them, but most people get past it in just a few days.

Pocket diapers are very easy to put on - they go on and off like a disposible, really, but they are a little fussier for washing and more succeptible to detergent issues. You also have to "stuff" the diapers with the absorbant insert, so that takes a little time after the laundry is washed/dried. But many people love them for their convenience.

I like fitted diapers the best. They still require a cover, but there's no folding involved.

For trainers, I've heard many people are happy with Happy Heiny's trainers, and I like the look of Snap-EZ trainers, but have not tried either, since we aren't quite to that stage yet. : )

Good luck with your decision and keep asking questions! I was really intimidated when I first started, but am so glad that I finally dove in...I love my cd's now and will never go back!!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
id try a few one size pockets with inserts and a few prefolds with one size covers and see what works best for you, then invest in whichever system you like best. im loving my prefolds and covers right now, but they are hard to get on my 3 mo at times already because she wiggles. for this reason i just added a bunch of all in one diapers to her stash and i plan to use a mix of both depending on how energetic i feel, lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love the prefolds with covers, too.

I got my prefolds from Diaper Swappers (you can get them used - some people are kinda grossed out by that but I'm not...cloth is cloth lol) and getting them used is by far the least expensive route.

But Green Mountain Diapers has a lot of info as well as (I think) inexpensive prefolds and covers in stock.

Good luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.