Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new here so I hope you don’t mind the question. I have a 12 year old son who is asking me a question I don’t know the answer too. So I hope someone here can help. My son can’t see well and was wondering how he matches up physically to other kids his age which is 12. He is 5 feet 2 inches and around 95 pounds and his shoe size is 7.5. If anyone can help that would be great.
Thanks so much

· Super Moderator
2 boys and foster kids
94 Posts
He sounds about average for age. at that age it all in if they starter puberty his first sings being growing penis and testicle then pubic hair have you seen any signs of puberty ?.
It normal to start puberty from 10 to 14 years old. His he had well child check they normally show where at on the average curve growth chart. Hope this helps

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m not able to reply to your message so I’ll reply here. My son can’t see well so he doesn’t read or write print but he really enjoys the sound of other kids writing. Would anyone be up for sending a recording of someone doing some homework or something?
Thanks so much
My 12 year old son is 4ft 8in tall and wears a size 7 shoe

· Registered
43 Posts
According to the dated mark I wrote on the wall, a couple of months before he turned 13, my son was 5’2” and wearing a U.S. men’s size 9.5 shoe. He was much heavier than 95lbs but his dad is half Czech and all that side of the family are built broad and muscular. DS will turn 14 in May 2023, and he is about to outgrow his 10.5 shoes.

My nephew is four months younger than DS and he has a much slimmer build, and wears a US men’s size 7.5 shoe at age 13 years, 2 months, and he is just now meeting MY height at just over 5’2”.

My son is very into fly fishing, the sciences, and rock climbing, while my nephew is a dive team champ and math competition winner, so their body types and sizes work for their interests. When they stand side by side, they look years apart in age, not just four months. They are both very bright and happy kids. That’s what matters.

It’s tricky to predict future size or talk about what’s average in kids this age in North America (Ian making assumptions about your location) because our genetic makeups are so varied here, AND because growth in ages 11-14 is so unpredictable. My first son’s pediatrician predicted he would grow to be 5’10” according to growth charts, but at age 28, he is 6’2”. My brother is 6’3” and I don’t even hit 5’3”, but I was a terribly sick child born to very poor parents while my brother, because financial and work circumstances had mercifully changed in my family by the time he came along, had the benefits of a healthier start in life and being lavished with levels of attention and care I never received.

If you’re concerned your son hasn’t grown “for a while” or anything like that, speak with a doctor or holistic nutritionist. Remember, you get out what you put into something or someone, so good nutrition and healthy lifestyles give our kids the best possibilities of reaching their full potential.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts