Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have just received a BFP and am in my 6th week. They are painting the offices at work at night while we are closed but the smell is still there when we arrive in the morning and seems to linger through the day... we have all the doors open for ventalation but I'm concerned about the affects... anyone have any info on this...

·
Registered
346 Posts
* Some types of paints have uglier health effects than others. Mostly you are worried about a class of paints that contain "VOCs" - volatile organic chemicals.

* Assume that it will take two weeks for the newest paint to offgass by half of the toxic chemicals.

* Ventilation is good: cheap and effective.... if your incoming outdoor air stream is cleaner than the indoor air.

* You could try to wear a carbon face-mask, but you'd have to change out the carbon pretty often. It could get expensive.

* If you want to invest in a machine, you might do well to buy a HEPA air filter and point the air vent directly into your personal air space, where you breathe in. A decent machine at a decent price is the Aireox. (D-Model 45 - Room model). If you invested in such a machine, then you could also use it for your new baby. I recommend HEPA air filters for any room a baby is sleeping in that doesn't receive constant ventilation from clean outdoor air.

I've got more to say, but I'm outta time!

-- Caitlin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you... you've put my mind at ease a bit.

The fumes are a little better today and we have all of the doors open again today... and thankfully it appears they have finished the painting. I asked about the paint type last night (on the sly as I'm waiting to tell people at work for the time being) as I was leaving and the painters were coming in and they advised that it is a basic latex based house paint... he tossed in that it was the same paint that he used to paint his home and his wife is pregnant... I think he sensed why I was asking.

Thanks again... I really appreciate the feedback.

Nicki

1 - 4 of 4 Posts