Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 15 weeks along and my nipples are about double or triple their normal size. They are starting to crack and are EXTREMLY sore (I will kill anyone who comes close to touching them
: ). I have not found anything that helps to relieve the cracks or the soreness, any suggestions?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have you tried calendula oil? I used it for cracked nipples when I was nursing. I'd put about five drops in a couple tablespoons of sweet almond oil. It worked like a charm. My breasts and nipples are huge, sensitive and sore this time too (no breast symptom AT ALL with the first). Fortunately they haven't cracked or anything.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would try lansinoh. That always helps during nursing I don't see why it would not help now.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I would use lanolin or bag balm, if you've got them sitting around...the other recs are great too.
It's one of the weirder things about pregnancy - nipple growth
That's not in What to Expect When You're Expecting (I don't think so, anyways)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
have they gotten darker too? that always catches me off-guard the first time I notice
I just wanted to add that if you have all-cotton bras I'd give them a try so air can circulate better and aid in healing. When my nipples cracked during breastfeeding I used these gel breast pads called "soothies". They feel like heaven! I think they carry them at Target, next to the lansinoh (near the bottles and pacifiers). Good luck

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beachsea View Post
I am 15 weeks along and my nipples are about double or triple their normal size. They are starting to crack and are EXTREMLY sore (I will kill anyone who comes close to touching them
: ). I have not found anything that helps to relieve the cracks or the soreness, any suggestions?
I'm due about the same time you are and have just been going topless as much as possible around the house. The only drawback is that it makes my dd (age 3) want to nurse more and I can hardly stand it anymore. I was wearing an old, washed-many-times ribbed tank top last night before bed and suddenly was like, "GAH!!! I canNOT wear this thing ever again!" because the 'ribbing' was irritating my nipples too much.

I don't have cracks now, but if I did I would use some Lansinoh. I used it when I was first breastfeeding both dds and it helped soooo much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.