Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a mother to a two-year-old daughter born at 24 actual weeks. She was c-sectioned because her placenta gave out and she was dying. Of course she was taken away and I didn't see her until 5 hours later and didn't get to hold her until 2 weeks later. People often ask about the bonding and if anything was weird with that. I have nothing to compare it to so I don't know. I am 12 weeks now and am thinking a lot of my birth. I have a bad deformity that may require another c-section- hopefully at a much later date though if it happens. I have become really attached to the idea of having the baby placed on my chest after birth and I am wondering if c-sectioned babies are taken away to make sure they are healthy and all the fluid is out of their lungs?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm so sorry you had to go through all that....<br><br>
I had a c-section with my son, and the closest I got to him was a little kiss on his head, before they moved to the other side of the room with him, to suction clean him up etc.......... I wouldn't have been able to hold him, I do believe my arms were strapped down. I got to hold him once they'd sewed me all up - about an hour later.<br><br>
I'm sure they could put the baby on your chest, perhaps only for a few minutes, but you should TELL your doctor that that is what you want, and your partner so that they can also make sure it happens..... if baby is healthy and term, I'm sure there is no reason why you couldn't have at least a few minutes to cuddle, if your arms are tied down, at least you could have the baby on you with someone else holding baby in place.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
For my first c-section, I was only allowed to hold my little girl and nurse her *after* I came through recovery all right. I had some other complications...My twins were early and I had PIH.... With my most recent c-section, I was allowed to hold the baby for a short while. He had to go to the NICU because I was a Gestational Diabetic and his sugars needed to be balanced. I will say this, though: I do not feel any less bonded with any of my children because I didn't really get to hold them immediately post birth. I do know I would've liked to, but I am not holding out any hopes in having my *ideal* birth this time, as I will probably have too many complications.... I look forward to the first time I hold and nurse this babe, just like the other. When it occurs, well, I hope it is sooner after the birth than later.... We'll see.. Good luck and good vibes to you...<br><br><br>
Gently and Peacefully,

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't think they could put him on your belly right away because of the curtain up and the tools around you and the big open wound - but I could be wrong.<br><br>
I had my second ds via c-section. For me they took the baby to be suctioned right near my head so I could see him. And after just a minute or two of cleaning him up a bit and making sure his lungs were clear they had my dh bring him up next to my face and they unstrapped one of my arms so I could touch him. (This was while I was being sewn up).<br><br>
Then once I was ready to be go to the recovery room they gave me the baby to hold while they wheeled me in. Once I was in recovery they hooked me up to some monitors and then helped me get the baby latched onto my breast. He nursed for an hour while we just layed together. It was wonderful.<br><br>
I think what made it go well for me was that I explained what I wanted to the doctors and nurses before I went under the knife. I told them I wanted to see and touch my ds right away and I wanted to nurse as soon as it was possible. They were very helpful and supportive of this and I don't feel like I missed out on any bonding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts