Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I got some the other day and after laboriously remixing it, I tasted it and it is so delicious! I am not a big coconut person, but I have eaten several spoonfuls of this stuff already today. I could see myself eating a bite of this when I am hungry.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How much do you think is healthy to eat in a day?<br><br>
Can I bake with it? I would like to replace my canned coconut milk to make custards, would the cream concentrate work for that by making my own coconut milk?</p>

·
Registered
491 Posts
<p>Oh, man, I'm bummed you've gotten no responses. I want to know, too. This is the coconut Manna, right? I imagined I could probably make my own coconut milk from it, too, so I'm anxious to hear if you've tried and if it was any good. With just water and maybe vanilla?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did see a recipe on Nutiva's website for some chocolate coconut cream balls (like truffles, I think) that I'm thinking about trying, lol.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
<p>The Tropical Traditions site has a bunch of info and recipes on it, even how to make coconut milk from dried coconut. The cream would need to be thinned out alot I would guess.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Did you end up trying to cook with it?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
<p>I use coconut cream concentrate and I keep it in my fridge since I use it up so slowly. The jar I have is well over the due date, but since it's been kept in the fridge, I am still using it. It gets totally solid when cold, so I have to chunk pieces off or let it come to room temperature.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are dairy free (on GAPS diet and still haven't been able to work in dairy), and I have used it successfully in baking that normally call for milk or cream. I make a custard that turns out more like a cross between a creme brule and a pudding using eggs, some water, coconut cream concentrate, ghee, vanilla, and whatever spices and things I want to put in (usually some winter squash). DH swears it tastes like it has dairy in it. I have also used it straight in yellow and other curries when I want a Thai flair/flavor to the dish.</p>

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Would you mind sharing how you make the custard? Creme Brulee is my favorite, so I am really interested! I tried using coconut cream concentrate once to bake a custard but it wasn't as good as the coconut milk. I am sure I didn't have the proportions right though.</p>

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
<p>I have my winter squash custard recipe up on my site at:</p>
<p><a href="http://www.wholetraditions.com/recipes/140-winter-squash-custard" target="_blank">http://www.wholetraditions.com/recipes/140-winter-squash-custard</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>This is my basic recipe that I first created to find a use for the abundance of winter squash I got from my CSA but you can change and tweak the ingredients.</p>

·
Registered
851 Posts
<p>I just eat it by the spoonfuls mostly. It's also good (IMO) in coffee. It's a bit grainy this way, but I like it.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts