Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to go to the dentist while breastfeeding? If so, what sorts of things are NOT OK? (ie, is flouride OK, etc) Also, if they should happen to find a problem, what procedures are acceptable while breastfeeding, assuming that I would need some sort of pain killer (novocaine, topical, etc)?<br><br>
I also have a number of moles I would like to have removed. Is this OK while breastfeeding? I've never had this done before so I don't know what is involved that may affect my milk.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
All of these procedures should be fine. Once you have scheduled the procedures take a look at Hale and see what the he says about the meds. It would be surprising if there were any procedures or meds that would be contraindicated. if the dentist or derm tells you they are not compatible with breastfeeding I would check with Hale and other BF experts first. many doctors will give this answer when it is not actually true.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Personally I would not even step foot in a dental office while pregnant or nursing. Conventional dentists just don't use the precautions with mercury that they should (like getting rid of it completely) and mercury vapors can be in the air from drilling and the like. And I certainly wouldn't have any dental work done, especially if you have amalgam fillings.<br><br>
I would do a search for some threads on fluoride because I think that is also pretty toxic, although not nearly as worrisome as mercury.<br><br>
It depends on how you're removing the moles, but if they are just "freezing" them off, it's probably fine.<br><br>
I would check those sources that the PP mentioned regarding medication, etc., but would totally avoid the dentist.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I would try to stay away from the dentist. I am not so worried about novocaine as I am about them drilling, or even just scraping and enthusiastically cleaning, a tooth with mercury in it, and spreading that in the air and upholstery where you can pick it up.<br><br>
Also, as far as I am concerned, fluoride is never a good idea.<br><br>
I got a cleaning shortly before TTC. At that time, an old filling of mine (not mercury) got knocked out. I had them repair it. Then, when I was 2 months pregnant, their crappy job of a filling fell out again (I never felt like it was well done) and I had to go back. I wouldn't let them use anything to numb me, even though they were saying it was safe. Luckily the cavity wasn't deep.<br><br>
If I hadn't been in pain, or felt like the cavity was going to be worsened by leaving it alone for a while, I would have just waited.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts