Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest dd M has been going through a lot lately with her health. To make a long story short after eliminating some really, really scary possibilities they did an insulin test. The test came back and the news was not good. Her score was 52. I have no idea what that means but apparently that is really high? They have set us up with an appointment with an endocrinologist but I have no idea what is going on. I tried looking information up online but got lost really fast. I have no idea what I need to be looking at and there is a LOT of information out there. It would be like never having seen or ridden in a car and then suddenly needing to research which car to buy for your family. I dont even know were to start.
Aparently there is a type 1 and a type 2 diabetes. When and how will we find out which one M has? Also as she is only almost 13 it rests on my shoulders to riddle all of this out for her, but for the long term what should I be helping her with so that she can self manage her own health when she is older?
Sorry if I seem all over the place in this post, I just feel really overwhelmed but know it is important to take action as soon as possible.
Thank you all for any guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
the girl I know who was diagnosed with type 1 as a teenager was sent right to the hospital - it was an emergency situation..

The tests I am familiar with are fasting blood sugar test and A1C. They should have done both. Lower numbers are better for a1c.

dr google provided this info about insulin blood tests.
http://www.drugs.com/enc/insulin-test.html

Quote:
Normal Results

Normal values are are 5-20 mcU/mL while fasting. (Note: mcU/mL = micro unit per milliliter)

Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.
What Abnormal Results Mean

Greater than normal levels may indicate:

* Injection of too much insulin
* Insulinoma
* Type 2 diabetes mellitus
* Obesity
* Sulfonylurea-induced hypoglycemia
If your daughter is overweight and/or her a1c level is high, you should meet with a dietician in addition to the endocrinologist.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I'm not familiar with an insulin test. Did they mention anything about hemoglobin? Did they prick her finger and do a blood glucose test?

56, IMHO, would be way too high for a HbA1c (hemoglobin a1c). Even in uncontrolled diabetics, you'll find numbers in the 9-13% range.

If they pricked her finger and did a blood glucose test and got 56, it would mean that she was hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). They would have probably offered your daughter some juice or something on the spot.

Was it an insulin tolerance test?

Has your daughter lost a lot of weight recently? If so, that can be a sign of Type 1. Type 2 is usually in overweight kids, but not always.

If she's type 1, she'll have to take insulin...and may be on a pump. If it's type 2, they may be able to control it with diet, or she may be put on something like glyburide or metformin. (Metformin, more likely I would guess.) Either way, you'll meet as a family with a certified diabetes educator--who will go over everything you need to know. There are also support groups your daughter can join, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.