Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we are going to have a boy here any time now...hopefully

We are not going to circ and I never want to put a spoise on my son....and I am going to try my damndest to do that. I have put away all urges while at the grocery store to buy a pack "just in case"

What I am wondering about is powder? We have a daughter and we use the talc free only and I don't even use it every time. My DH is a serious powder user. I can't believe how much he uses every time he changes DD.

I was thinking maybe powder isn't good for non-circ.

Is there anything else I should know?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My DS is non-circ. Of course we don't really use that much poweder around here. Only when a slight heat rash pops up from being in pul to often. We use a small amount of a talc free with corn starch added and we have never had any problems with DS. Just make sure that you wipe him good in between changes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i heard powder shouldn't be used on babies because it's bad for their lungs (or something like that - please don't quote me!).

i use vaseline on ds's bum. i used to slather it on him at every dipe change. but i realized it's not necessary and only use it at night. i'm proud to say he's 15 months old and has NEVER had a diaper rash!! maybe tmi: sometimes he gets a little pink right around his anus if he's eaten something a little harsh (like tomatoes), but vaseline clears it right up.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sistermama
We've never used powder. What type of dipes do you use? I bet you don't need it either...

We have all sorts of dipes for DD. AIO's, fitteds, prefolds...

for DS what we have now is mostly prefolds and wool covers and pul covers. So the only thing I am worried about is the PUL not breathing well enough. I think I will just tell DH that powder is BAD for a circed boy.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Powder really is totally unnecessary. I say cut it out all together.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
powder isn't good for girls either. He'd probably have less negative effects than her though since his foreskin will be protecting his glans.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
I'm glad you're leaving your son intact!

As you already know, the kind of powder with talc is bad.

The cornstarch-kind feeds yeast in both boys AND girls, so I wouldn't use it on any baby.

We just don't use powder! We use either Weleda diaper cream or Burts Baby Bees diaper cream for our intact son.

MDC also has a "case against circumcision" forum where you can ask intact-related questions, as well.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMoon
The best rash prevention is letting him run around without a cover at home, just a fitted or a prefold.

Oh yes I forgot to say that DD never has a cover on when we are at home. Especially in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I never used powder on my 2 intact boys, and never used it on DD either.
We only used diaper rash ointment (Burts Bees) when needed (which is very infrequently).
The foreskin is actually there to help prevent fecal bacteria from entering the body.
One bath a day (and wiping the area clean at diaper change) is all that is needed.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My son is intact and he likes powder- even now that's he's in underwear. We use it sparingly though. It's the talc that is the problem for breathing. But a circumcised boy is more prone to infection since the skin that is there to prevent infection and irritation of the sensitive head of the penis has been removed. Intact boys have nature's natural protection. Also, the foreskin on a baby boy doesn't retract so you don't have to worry about powder being caught between the foreskin and penis head. The foreskin doesn't retract for years and it should never be forced to retract. I hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.