Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi.  This is my first post.  I have a 6-week old and started domperidone on Friday evening (10 mg 3x/day), so this evening will mark 72 hours.  I know that it's not always effective and takes some people longer to see results, but for those who have, was it a gradual increase or did your supply jump all at once?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a lazy nurser who has had some gaining issues, so we have to supplement (an ounce at a time) after feedings and I'm pumping after every session (so we start the supplement with expressed milk before moving to formula).  He doesn't seem to have a latch problem, but I barely get 2 oz when I pump in lieu of a feeding so I'm hoping for results, as I go back to work in 6 weeks!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm taking fenugreek, an Omega 3-6-9 supplement, more milk special blend, a prenatal, eating oats and pushing water like crazy, so any positive stories are much appreciated!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks.</p>

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I would try taking more. The standard starting dose is now 90 mg a day - that's three standard pills three times a day - and that's what I took with both my kids.<br>
Also - there's no need to drink excessive amounts of water. My LC told me to just drink to thirst.<br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
<p>Hi Momma</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Firstly, a big hug to you for your efforts and persistance at making breastfeeding work.  You are doing wonderful things for your baby.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I saw a doctor specializing in lactation, and she advised me to take 3 tablets, 3 times per day - so that is a total of 9 tablets each at 10 mg.  I took this right from the get go, along with Fenugreek.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for the pumping - when I returned to work briefly, I pumped for 30 minutes, 3 times per day and only got 2 oz total at each session. I'm sorry I can't be more positive about this, but I guess my point is that pumping produces a lot for some women, and less so for others.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So while I was working, we had to make up the shortfall with formula.  I did feel really down about this time - but ultimately I came to a place where I realized I was doing everything humanly possible to make breastfeeding work, and once I let go of the grief and disappointment of not being able to exclusively breastfeed, I was much happier.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, I co-slept with my baby and made a point of feeding him at the breast before and after work and during the night.  For me, he was MUCH more effective removing milk than the pump so I was sure to give him lots of time at the breast.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You are doing a wonderful job!</p>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks!  He is in a co-sleeper at night and I generally pull him into bed with us at his first waking to nurse...we are still getting the hang of nursing lying down.  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have an appointment with my LC tomorrow and will ask about the increased dosage.  I think they wanted me to start off at 10 first to see if it helped...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much for your help!  I hate supplementing but I do feel better knowing I'm doing everything I can to give him breast milk.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts