Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been charting on paper for 2 months now, but I've been charting in my head for 20+ years. I've always known I've ovulated early. I've always had all the physical signs. I only recently learned about temping, but in the two months I've temped it's confirmed that I am an early ovulator.
The thing is, I have undeniable proof that I ovulate as early as I do, and still people are telling me that it's simply impossible to ovulate that early.

I started temping on Sunday October 8. My temp at 5am was 96.7. (by the look of this month, that's baseline pre-o)
Going back a few days from that.
On Wednesday October 4, I passed a bloodclot that was more greyish then red with slightly grey flakes the whole day. I bleed for a total of 2 days, but spotted for 7 days. This is when I'm thinking I had a miscarriage.
On Monday October 9 My temp at 5am was 97.5. (by this months look that is average for post-o) Around 9am I started getting hot shooting pains in my uterus and went to the emergency room thinking I might have a problem because I didn't bleed very much when I thought I had a miscarriage.
I had a pelvic ultra sound and the woman who does this for a living and sees uterus and ovaries and such in all forms of function said "You are ovulating today. I can see the follicle (whatever it's called) on you ovary is burst. It's day 14 of your cycle." This is just 5 days after I started bleeding...and I was still spotting. I had the two only real ways to prove ovulation. Ultra sound and a thermal shift on the same day.
The only thing odd about this cycle is that I had no physical indication that I was ovulating on CD5, but on CD9 I had EWCM, increased sex drive, ovulation pain and a second thermal shift. Everyone says it's impossible to ovulate twice...OK. either way, I didn't catch the egg that cycle and I started spotting on CD23.
This month I had all the physical symptoms of ovulation (EWCM, increased sex drive, Ovulation pain, and thermal shift) on Saturday Novemeber 4. My temps jumped from the 96's to the 97's. But everyone, including FF says it's simply impossible to ovulate that early. I'm starting to see a pattern in that on CD 9 I was given cross hairs.
By FF's count I started spotting on 10 DPO but by my calculation it's 13 DPO.
I'm completely open to the possibility that I may have progeterone issues because I have a history of having issues, but should I be more concerned with the fact that I'm giving every indication that I seem to be ovulating when it's simply impossible to do so?

My question is...
Why is it simply impossible to ovulate on CD 5 or 6?

And why is it that when I tell people that a pelvic ultra sound confirmed ovulation on CD 5 my response is "I don't know..."

I'm honestly not worried or stressed, I'm just 38 and I really don't want to just sit here for 6 months before finding out I have a problem. I feel like I just don't have 6 months to wait.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
well, NOTHING is impossible!!
obviously you have concrete proof that YOU do indeed O that early. FF and all the "experts" work with averages to come up with the "rules." it's not necessarily that their rules are wrong, it's just that they can't possibly cover every single person. you just happen to be special.

i don't know anything about the science or medicine regarding progesterone issues and Oing early...especially since i tend to be on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. but i do know that NO ONE knows their bodies better than ourselves. and if you have hard proof that confirms what you know, people can talk themselves silly telling you you're wrong and they will never be right.

around here in ttc land, we're all trying so hard to follow the rules and we get freaked out when our bodies don't follow them. and we're also so eager to share our accumulated knowledge, that we sometimes forget that we are all so very different and the rules do bend.

i just want to encourage you, as an expert in your own body, to shrug off the "that's impossibles" when they come.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Kitttykat the more I read this board, the internet and pay attention to my body, the more I am convinced ovulation can happen anytime in one's cycle (give or take) in different women.

If you have concrete charting proof of your O dates, take those concerns to your doctor and explain exactly what you just said here. Or just start BDing at that time and see what happens.

It's funny you bring this up b/c I just got off the phone with a friend who has 3 kids and she was telling me that she charted, temped etc and couldn't get pregnant with her 3rd for months. She was BDing during her O time too. Then she decided to do it at another time and that's when she got pregnant. Not near her O time. Figures.

So I don't understand it either b/c I look at some women's charts on here and they BD all the way leading to O and yet they're not getting pregnant. And yet the ones who BD after seem to get pregnant. Which is completely contradictory to what we're told. That you can't get pregnant after you O unless you BD on the day you O.
:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just concerned that being such an early O'er might be a hormone imbalance that could be interfering with getting pregnant.

I've also started wondering about my complete lack of interest in sex after ovulation, until the next ovulation. I litterally only want to be sexual about 4 days out of the month. That can't be right...especially since I should be going threw my peak soon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think early ovulation is entirely possible. I always O early, although more like CD 11 or 12. I did some reading and found that very early ovulation can be an indicator of high FSH levels (sometimes associated with aging eggs), which is not good for conception. If that is the reason why you o early, meds might be needed to balance out the hormones a bit before getting pregnant. hopefully, it is just a matter of getting the timing right, now that you know you're oing early.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found this information:

Early Ovulation
Q: I have short cycles and usually ovulate on CD 8. Is that a problem?

A: "Too early" would be ovulation on cycle day 10 or earlier, so ovulating on CD 8 is usually considered too early and can be a problem when you TTC. It's possible to get pregnant if you regularly ovulate early in the menstrual cycle, it happens all the time. But when you ovulate that early, your chances of getting pregnant are reduced because: 1. With too-early ovulation you may be releasing eggs that have not matured properly. Improperly matured eggs are not as good for fertilization and implantation compared with eggs that have matured properly. 2. The reproductive system (hormone levels) is not in sync when eggs mature early, thus further decreasing the chance of pregnancy. 3. The lining of the uterus, the endometrium, may not be ready for implantation when not enough time has passed since the last menstrual period. The egg may have become fertilized but the blastocyst (the fertilized egg) arrives in the uterus and cannot implant properly because the lining is not appropriate.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That does make sense, but I'm one of those early ovulators and we got pregnant with DD the first time we even tried. I ovulated on CD9 that cycle. So it wasn't a problem for me, although I can see how it might be for some women.

The thing is, women can even get pregnant while they're having their period, you know? So I think much of it comes down to individual women and their own timing. Hopefully it really is just a matter of timing for you, and knowing when you release that egg.

And I'm sorry you think you had a miscarriage. That's got to be hard.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is hard, I feel it in my mind, but what makes it even worse is I don't have that concrete proof so it's not like it's real for everyone else. It's not even real for my family. Just me.

This is going to sound completely insane, but I think I actually caught the egg this month. I think we successfully fertilized but instead of implanting I think it bounce around and I lost it. My spotting was way too strange, totally not my norm. It was text book implantation spotting once a day for 3 days, then on the 4th day it turned into my regular pre-menstral spotting, then turned into my period.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
So Kittykat what kinds of things are you doing or taking to increase your lining and or help regulate ovulation? When I first started charting I would O on cd9 one month adn cd13 the next. It has steady off a bit now. I was actually there for a while thinking Maybe on Ovary just liked to O early. ???

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to see the doctor this morning.

I often wondered if maybe our ovaries can work seperately from each other...like one goes early, or one doesn't take it's turn the way it's supposed too.
Can you release one egg from each ovary during one ovulation before the progesterone kicks in?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am an early O'er. I had AF from the 1st through the 3rd. Dh was home from travel from the 4th through the 6th. Then left until the 25th. We tested positive on the 2th of the next month. I now have a healthy beautiful 15 month old little girl. So Im proof that it is possible to O as early as cd6 and still get prgnant and have a baby. So keep up the hope.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
I often wondered if maybe our ovaries can work seperately from each other...like one goes early, or one doesn't take it's turn the way it's supposed too.
My cousin was of "advanced maternal age" (about 38 or 39) and they told her releasing more than one egg was much more common at her age...she had no idea it would happen to her! It took her 1 1/2 years to get pregnant with some help from her dr. They monitored her follicles and they were indeed maturing at different times. she released two eggs, 10 days apart from each other and BOTH fertilized much to their surprise. So in the end, she had twins from a double ovulation, but one twin always measured a week older (in the earlier ultrasounds that are more accurate for dating gestation.) So you never know!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts