Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can this be a worry? I know at some point the baby has grown big enough that if it was an ectopic pregnancy it would have burst already?

Today I've had some mild cramping all on my right side. It's kinda sharp/stabby but not intense at all. I haven't been worrying about it all day, but now all of a sudden I'm thinking, "What if it's an ectopic pregnancy?!"

I just don't want to worry about this. I'm sick of worrying.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bethanta View Post
How long can this be a worry? I know at some point the baby has grown big enough that if it was an ectopic pregnancy it would have burst already?

Today I've had some mild cramping all on my right side. It's kinda sharp/stabby but not intense at all. I haven't been worrying about it all day, but now all of a sudden I'm thinking, "What if it's an ectopic pregnancy?!"

You may just be having pain from things stretching. I had an ectopic pregnancy and the things that stood out about it was that I had a lot of bleeding off and on, I barely had any pregnancy symptoms and I had pain on one side. If you are worried, though, I would just call your provider in the morning and mention you are having pain on one side and you are worried about ectopic. It never hurts to check and easing your mind is often worth it. My pain with my ectopic was never severe. I was 8 or 9 weeks before I was treated.

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
I went through the same thoughts a few times over the past couple weeks. What we are feeling is likely the corpus luteum cyst... a normal part of pregnancy and really nothing to worry about, it generally clears itself up by the second trimester.

As for your concerns about ectopic...

from: http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/ectopic-pregnancy-symptoms

* Abdominal or pelvic pain, usually 6 to 8 weeks after a missed period. (this means around 10 to 12 weeks gestation, 8 to 10 after conception) Pain may get worse with movement or straining. It may occur sharply on one side at first and then spread throughout the pelvic region.
* Vaginal bleeding that may be light or heavy.
* Pain with intercourse or during a pelvic exam.
* Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting (syncope) caused by internal bleeding.
* Signs of shock.
* Shoulder pain caused by bleeding into the abdomen under the diaphragm. The bleeding irritates the diaphragm and is experienced as shoulder pain.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I was just talking to my friend about this today. She's has two ectopic pregnancies. She said from her research, they are usually discovered by 7-7 1/2 weeks because at that point they grow too big for the tube and cause internal bleeding. She ended up in the ER at 7 1/2 weeks for excruciating pain. But as you can see, Mae's experience was different.

I do have occasional pains in my lower abdomen so the thought has crossed my mind. But I've had similar pains when I'm not pregnant so that leads me to believe it's not an ectopic pregnancy.

It's so hard not to fear the worst isn't it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
When I had mine this summer I had no idea I was pregnant. I'd had what I thought was my period (later realized was bleeding) and took a test on a lark. I too discovered it was ectopic when I ended up in the ER in mind blowing pain. It started while we were having sex... ended up in blinding pain in the bathroom, drooling, unable to speak sort of pain. I hadn't ruptured, but was having internal bleeding. My guess from your description is that you are more likely just having cramping or round ligament pain BUT if you have a nagging feeling that something is wrong, do not ignore it or think you are being overly worried. Go get checked. As I said, I'll bet it is 100% normal pains, but you do not want to mess around with an ectopic and so better to go and be checked and discover everything is fine than not. I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bethanta View Post

Oh my god me too. The exact same pain (except on my left side) and the exact same worry, like two days ago.

I was all trying not to think of it. But then I felt the same type of sharp pang (like you said, not really painful, just like a sharp "ooh"), but on the other side and higher up.

I'm thinking it's ligaments and I'm just being a worrier.

But at this point I'm at least 7 weeks, and I think the pain would be much more intense and more constant. I haven't had any at all today.

No bleeding here, either-- I didn't know that was a sign, it's a relief to hear.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, no bleeding for me too (that would bring on a whole realm of worries). And after I posted this I laid down on my back and tried to figure out exactly where I was feeling this. I think it is way too low for tubal pains. and as I was palpating I decided it was muscular pain from the way it reacted to touch and slight pressure. Plus it's gone now. So I'm putting myself back into "don't worry" mode.

Thanks for everyone's replies. This is just one thing I don't want to have to think about. I'm not a big fan of early ultrasounds, but ectopic pregnancies is one reason I sometimes lean toward getting one done.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
i am worried about this too! i have had no pain, but this is my huge worry right now....

like others have said get it checked if your worried
s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.