Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been BFing for almost 10 months with no sign of AF
How do I know when I can get PG again or if I can?
I have heard people say they weaned DC#1 just to get PG & I do not want to do that to my son.
Does anyone have any advice on this?
Thank You so much

Sorry if this has been discussed. I searched 15 pages of posts & I found nothing on the subject..

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I was hoping to get my fertility back fairly quickly. I have to go to classes a couple of times a week--they are three hours long. I just went that time, plus a bit before and/or after without nursing or pumping. A couple of times I had longer separations from my baby for other reasons. Each time she was with her dad with a bottle of expressed milk. My AF returned this week at about 10.5 weeks post-partum.

I dunno if this will help you--at ten months it seems likely that you've probably spent a couple of hours away at some point, but perhaps not.

Many people will not recommend this approach because it can negatively impact your supply. I pump daily for my baby's needs and to donate and have quite a surplus, so I'm ot as concerned about that.

You might also try to increase feeding solids, but only if you DC is ready, of course.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I know how you feel. I wanted our children very close in age, but didn't want to wean in order to achieve it. I got my cycle back at 14 months postpartum, pregnant at 16 months postpartum after my first son. Nursing my second son, got my cycles back around 15 months, had one or two long cycles and conceived at around 16 months postpartum.
You should read some good fertility books like Taking Charge of Your Fertility or Natural Family Planning while you are waiting. You could also start charting your cervix, taking your temperature, charting your CM, etc....

It all worked out for me. My children are all 2 years apart and it has been great. My boys are the best of friends. Each of my boys self-weaned when I was 3 months pregnant and I am so glad that I made it to 2 years of nursing with both of them. I had planned on tandem nursing, so I would have been very sad if our nursing had been cut short earlier than 2 years.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you looking to get pg again or are you just looking to make sure you *don't* get pg again so soon?

You could be fertile now. Many women get pg while breastfeeding without getting af back at all. I got pg when ds was 11 mos old despite the fact that I nursed him all the time, day and night. I never got af.

After ds#2 I got af back at 14 months postpartum. If you are looking to get pg again, I would wait for a few more months and if you're not pg yet, then perhaps you could start emphasizing solids more so that your child will naturally start nursing less.

Best wishes,
Cathy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts