Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I ask a dumb newbie question? Can a doctor run a test to see if you've ovulated? I mean would they be able to tell where you are (roughly) in your cycle? Basically I had a 40 day cycle after coming off of BCP. I'm pretty sure I ovulated during that cycle. Now I am into my second cycle off of BCP and I'm on CD 52. I'm not sure if I've ovulated this cycle. My preg. tests have been negative. Should I call my doctor tomorrow? Is there anything she would be able to do? How long should I go without AF before I become concerned? Is there nothing to do but wait? HELP! I'm going crazy!<br><br>
p.s.- I just finished reading TCOYF and plan to begin charting if I ever start another cycle...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I think the only way that a doctor would be able to tell whether you had ovulated would be with an ultrasound- to check for follicles. I had crazy and erratic cycles after going off BCP- 18 to 120+ days, and often anovulatory. I saw my doctor when I was due for a pap smear and was 70-something days into a cycle... she basically just wanted me to wait and keep charting to see what happened. After a year of TTC after BCP with very erratic cycles she offered some testing- ultrasound, bloodwork, HSG, etc.<br><br>
The happy ending is that I did get pregnant after 13 months of TTC- I think I only had 4 ovulatory cycles in that whole time. And I ovulated on day 55 or 56 of the cycle that I conceived!!<br><br>
Waiting totally sucks! I really recommend charting- you can even start mid-cycle (I did, because with such long cycles I didn't have the patience to wait). Good luck!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts