Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Nystatin oral suspension for DS's thrush and was given the Nystatin cream for my nipples.

Do I need to wash the cream off my nipples before feeding DS?

Also, can I use the cream for his diaper rash?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure if you need to wash it off your nipples before feeding, but I do know you can use it on his diaper area. I was prescribed Nystatin for my dd's diaper area before.

HTH!

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Thread moved to breastfeeding.
Gossamer

·
Registered
377 Posts
We also have used the cream in the diaper area before - it was prescribed for ds though - I don't know if there is a difference in strength?

I'm not sure about washing the cream off your nipples though. When we were dealing with thrush, I was told just to use the oral suspension on my nipples - I was never prescribed the cream for myself.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was told that I didn't have to wipe the cream off my nipples before feeding, but I tried to do that anyway because of the fact that there was polyethelene (sp) and mineral oil in the cream. Also, I personally felt the Nystatin was pretty worthless. If you are going to use it, though, take a look at the contents on the tube and see what else is in there besides Nystatin. I think a vinegar and water solution works well topically, for the nipples and for Baby's bottom, unless you or the Baby develop sensitivity to the vinegar. For me, I had a reaction to that stupid Nystatin cream.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I didn't wipe it off because I didn't want to further dry out or irritate my nipples. However, for the reasons the PP stated, I did try to use it right after a nursing so most of it would be gone/absorbed by the time we needed to nurse again. I was pumping and working so I recall using it at night before bed and in the morning after the first feed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.