Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history...<br><br>
I was diagnosed with PCOS after TTC for 2 years. Some lh/fsh inbalance, ovarian cysts, irregular periods my whole life - but no other symptoms (no hair growth, obesity, insulin issues etc).Have questions as to whether it really is PCOS.<br><br>
Clomid didn't work/Met. didn't work. Finally conceived after 3 years with shots (although was not able to do Follistem shot because too many eggs produced). Hated this process!<br><br>
I have a wonderful 11 month old DS and am VERY thankful every day! Have started to wonder whether or not we will be able to conceive without intervention. The questions I have:<br><br>
1. Has anybody with "PCOS" conceived with intervention and then conceived again naturally?<br><br>
2. Any recommended herbal treatments for PCOS?<br><br>
We are successfully breastfeeding and I haven't seen AF yet.<br><br>
Good luck to all of you!<br><br>
Traci

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hi Traci,<br>
I'm in a really similar position to you. I was dx with PCOS because of cysts on my ovaries & a weird LH/FSH ratio, but have NO other symptoms & have also doubted my dx. I always ovulate & have gotten pg without meds & on 500 mg of metformin (so low that I doubt whether or not it really helps).<br>
I have just started seeing a naturopath who is also doubtful of my dx and is requesting that I get free testosterone tested as a first step. She thinks that this is overdiagnosed and that natural treatment can help. I do know there is a great website for natural treatment of PCOS which I will try to find so I can give it to you.<br>
I'm at the office & have to run but wanted to give you my thanks for giving me hope that I will be able to carry a baby to term!<br><br>
best of luck &I'll try to post site later.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hi Traci,<br>
Here`s site, it seemed to have lots of useful info and there's a newsletter you can subscribe to.<br><br><br><a href="http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-consult.html" target="_blank">http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-consult.html</a><br><br>
take care & good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a great board/website all about PCOS. I frequent there. Go to the mommy board forum and you will see about 5 or 6 ladies who have younger babies and are pregnant again,not thinking they could be after all the fertility problems its a very uplifting site for us women with PCOS. Hope you find it helpful I know I have. <a href="http://www.soulcysters.net" target="_blank">www.soulcysters.net</a>

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be afraid to say that PCOS is overdiagnosed. It's a very difficult disorder to dx, and not well understood. There is no test they can give, and many pcos women don't suffer from the same symptoms. infertility is only one symptom. It's difficult to get proper attention paid to health problems which affect only women, so to downplay the effects of pcos is a good way to argue that it's not necessary to spend time and money on studying it. I am convinced something truly widespread is going on - i know FAR too many women suffering from problems which fall beneath the fuzzy definition of pcos. There is the whole syndrome X thing - which I think is worth exploring. Anyway - i concieved with no real help, but it took almost 7 years of trying (i was not diagnosed pcos until try #2, which is going on 4 years of trying). Those 7 years, docs kept telling me it was a weight issue and ignored other possibilities because I do not show the classic signs of PCOS - 7 years of total frustration because docs refused to look for the problem. I haven't conceived this time, but being treated for pcos has made a world of difference in other aspects of my life. A simple adjustment of diet was one huge help. Be open, is all I am saying.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
It sounds like you have PCO and not PCOS. I didnt know until recently that there is a difference. PCO is just that, polycystic ovaries. If you have PCOS, then you usually have the syndrome and the symptoms that go along with it. I just got a new book recently and it has natural treatments but my son is hanging all over my lap so I will be back to post them in a little bit.<br><br>
I did end up getting pg with my son on my own, but it took 3 years (and after I had given up on all the dr's meds that didnt even work). He is almost 2 now and we havent used anything for birth control since he was born and have been ttc for over a year now and so far, nothing, but I am hopeful that it will happen again!

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Okay, Dora the Explorer is on so I have 20 minutes! LOL The book I am reading about PCOS right now is by Colette Harris.<br><br>
One of the things it talks about is acupuncture. It says that women with pcos have found it most helpful for kickstarting non-existant periods and regulating long cycles. An acupuncturist would normally work on liver Qi and spllen Qi and possibly kidney Qi but it depends on the different symptoms PCO/PCOS women suffer from. Treatment usually starts on day 21 of your cycle daily, until your period starts, and repeated each month until the condition improves. The needles will most likely be put in your abdomen, arms, and legs.<br><br>
Aromatherapy:<br>
for hormonal balance: vitex agnus castus, geranium, and rose<br>
for relaxation: sandalwood, neroli, ylang ylang, and mandarin<br>
The antiinflammatory properties of chamomile would be helpful as well.<br><br>
Homeopathy, but it doesnt say WHAT to take, just says that it depends on your naturopathic dr since each symptom is treated by something different.<br><br>
Herbs:<br>
hormonal balance: Vitex, white paeony, chinese angelica/dong quai, blue cohosh, motherwart<br><br>
To aid the liver in metabolizing hormones:marigold, milk thistle and rosemary<br>
for skin problems: echinacea and purifying nettle<br><br>
Reflexology and nutritional therapies are also recommended.<br><br>
The book also recommends cleaning up our air, maybe using an ionizer. Surround your home and work space with plants. Peace Lillies, dwarf banana, spider plants, coconut palms, and weeping figs can extract fumes from chemical cleaners, perfumes, radon, cig smoke, and chemicals from printers, copiers, and VDU.<br><br>
Drink lots of water, eat organic. The book recommends eating: 5 portion veggies, 4 portions wholegrains, 3 portions fruit, 2-5 portions protein, and 1 portion of cold pressed flax seed oil.<br><br>
Most of the book is about emotionally dealing with it and the mind/body connection.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We were TTC for almost 2 years before I got pregnant with DS. The next cycle was my first to take Clomid and thankfully I never had to! I saw my OB afte trying for around a year. She wanted me to chart which helped a ton! I learned so much more about my cycles. I tried Met, hated it! I tried a low carb diet and it helped some. I've had very mild symptoms for the past couple of years (hair growth, weight gain and of course the IF). Obviously, this was my first pregnancy, but I just wanted to point out not give up hope of getting pregnant on your own! I almost did, but thankfully it happened before I had to do more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Mum2Adam<br><br>
Your story is very similar to mine! We ttc for 4 years - clomid - natropath - aih and finally ivf (all that struggle in just one sentence!!). I have always had irregular periods and thyriod and other hormonal imbalances. I was diagnosed with PCO. I also have no outward symptoms of PCOS - overweight, hair growth etc. Fortunately my Reproductive Endocrinologist happened to specilise in PCOS - she was very definite that my ovaries are polycystic but that I do not have the syndrome. Perhaps your ovaries are polycystic but you have escaped the full blown syndrome!?<br><br>
We now have a beautiful 13mth old baby boy, after our first ivf attempt.<br>
I am hoping to concieve #2 naturally - but am not confident (understandably!).<br><br>
I believe that exercise and diet are still relevent to PCO.<br>
I have a friend with PCOS who used accupuncture successfully to concieve, so that might also be an option for you.<br><br>
GOOD LUCK!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts