Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We discovered that my son had allergies during an elimination diet to cure his eczema at 3 months old. At that time we had a skin test that tested positive for just about everything.

Now that he is 2 1/2 I had him retested with a blood test. Until this time I knew he was allergic to dairy and sensitive to wheat. I had never attempted shellfish or peanuts but he had eaten food with peanut oil in it.

The blood test results came back and he is allergic to peanuts, walnuts, dairy, soy, egg and wheat. However, the test also said that the peanuts and egg will give a reaction 95% of the time but everything else less than 50% reaction.

I don't understand how this works. He reacts 100% of the time to dairy but never to soy and only minor iching to too much wheat. Does this mean he is growing out of the dairy? And I have given him egg on occassion but the reaction is much less severe than to dairy.

Help!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I would avoid everything he tested positive to, even trace amounts, until he has a negative test to them. I have never heard of having a 95% or 50% reaction rate. I have heard of having more or less severe allergies. I guess your allergist called it reaction rates instead of severity of allergy. I would assume the 95% allergies could cause anaphylaxis and the others might cause rash, hives or GI upset. That doesn't mean you should give him any of those allergens!

Did the allergist give you epipens? If not, make an appointment w/ the allergist or your ped so they can show you how to use one and carry 2 with you at all times, just in case. A high positive to eanuts and eggs are nothing to mess with.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have epipens. Got them when he was less than 1 because his milk allergy was so severe.

I got to think about this yesterday - is it possible that because he hasn't had dairy in almost a year (accidently ate a tiny piece of cheese at Thanksgiving last year) that he body doesn't have as many antigens in it?

Since he is almost 3 what is the possibilty that he will outgrow any of these allergies?

I can't imagine how I am going to cut out soy since they do not make non-dairy cheese, yogurt or butter in anything BUT soy.

The reason for the testing was that I gave him peanut butter for the first time 2 weeks ago. He immediately complained about his mouth hurting and started throwing up. I encouraged him to throw up and then gave him benadryl. Except for a contact rash around his mouth from the peanut butter he didn't have any other reactions. I rushed him to the doctor but he was fine by then. About 5 hours later he started to throw up again. It seems his stomach stopped digesting as soon as he ate the peanut butter because even breakfast was completely whole. After more benadryl he was fine.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Have you refilled the epipens? THey expire a year or less after getting them. Check the expiration dates.

You don't need cheese, yogurt or butter to eat well. I like Smart Balance Light margarine as a butter sub. None of the top 8 present. I think it has soy oil, but soy oil ius usually ok for soy allergic. YMMV, but Liam is fine when I eat it adn I've even fed him something w/ it on it before w/ no reaction. He gets hives when he nurses if I eat anything w/ soy in it, other than soy oil or soy lecithin, they're fine, which is common.

A child over 2 is not as likely to outgrow allergies, but it's still possible.

That peanut butter reactions sounds scarily like anaphylaxis. A biphasic reaction no less. I'd be super careful about nuts/peanuts around him and make sure to carry epipens at all times.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on soy oil. I use Earth Balance butter right now.

We have updated the epipens about 5 months ago. Thankfully, the doc caught that because I didn't know about the expiration thing.

The reason I am worried about the diet and giving up the cheese and yogurt is that not only is my son allergic to so many things (including a few I found out on my own - lentils and seasame paste) he is also a picky eater and getting him to gain weight has been somewhat of a struggle.

Right now at almost 3 years old he weighs 24 lbs and I am thrilled! We went through a series of tests last year for celiac and cystic fibrosis because his digestion went haywire and he stopped gaining weight for 9 months.

I admit that I have come to depend on soy yogurt, cheese and other things on his "no-no" list in an effort to keep him from losing weight. This whole thing is sending me into a panic. I remember feeling so overwhelmed when I went through the elimination diet and I am starting to feel that way again.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
You may find that when you cut out all of his allergens, and his body has had some time to heal, his appetite will actually increase.

Earth Blanace has soy protein in it. I used to use that before I had a baby who's allergic to soy. I am allergic to dairy (and eggs), so that's no big deal to me, but it is hard to lose soy when you're used to having soy yogurt, soy sour cream, soy margarines, etc. Oh, make sure it's Smart Balance Light when you get it (it's the ONLY margarine I've been able to find) the regular and organic Smart Balance both have crushed soybeans. Fleischman's light tubs and unsalted sticks are also safe, but they use hydrogenated oils.

It is very common for kids allergic to peanuts to also be allergic to lentils, chick peas, and peas. Liam (my 10 month old) is allergic to peanuts and peas, but not the lentils or chick peas. I'm sorry you can't have lentils, they're so quick and easy.
Are you vegetarian? Does he eat meat? Lamb seems to be a meat that I've had good luck feeding my picky eater, ds1.

Have you tried upping the calorie content of his foods by adding oil to everything? When ds1 was little and had allergies (he did outgrow them all by 4 years of age), I added extra virgin olive oil to everything. Coconut oil is also good (especially extra virgin coconutty tasting oil.) I also use coconut milk in cooking a lot.

This website is full of good people w/ TONS of good advice. It costs $25 to join, but it's definintely worth it. http://kidswithfoodallergies.org/groupee/forums

I'm sure someone there wouls also be able to help you out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts