Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I've been tossing around the idea of going to a Chiropractor for my hip and back pain.  It's not excruciating but it is bothersome. I've never been to a chiropractor.  Do you think it would help?  What can I expect? </p>

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
<p>I think so. I went in the beginning, but the chiro stopped while his wife had a baby, so I haven't gone back yet. But I did it until I was about 20 weeks. It at the very least helped me breath better and he also gave me exercises to do. It doesn't hurt anything. I think it has helped with how I feel, I feel better than I did last pregnancy and I am almost 40! I don't have as much pain as I did last time.</p>

·
Registered
272 Posts
<p>I've been seeing a chiropractor since the beginning of this pregnancy.  I think it is helping quite a bit.  I have one achy spot on my left hip that I think would become unbearable if I wasn't regularly getting adjusted.  In general, my back and neck feel better than before I was pregnant.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My chiro has a table that adjusts so I can lay on my stomach without putting pressure on it.  There are a few different styles of chiropractic care so how a chiro adjusts you will vary depending on their method.  Try asking around for recommendations if possible and find someone who has worked on pregnant women also.</p>

·
Registered
149 Posts
<p>I've seen a DO who specifically does osteopathic manipulation (OMT) almost this entire pregnancy (took some time off in the middle to find a new one because my usual guy doesn't see many pregnant women and he wasn't being as gentle as I would like).  I saw one for most of my son's pregnancy too.  I feel that both times it's been REALLY helpful and worth it.  Both the guy I saw with my first pregnancy, and the women I'm seeing now, are really gentle. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>OMT and Chiro are similar, but different.  Same goal.</p>

·
Registered
687 Posts
<p>I've been seeing a chiro who specializes in pregnant women. I had horrible SPD at the end of my last pregnancy, and I could feel it starting again in the second trimester. I'm 31 weeks tomorrow, and my hips are not painful, so for me that has been successful.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>I went yesterday for my first appointment.  She had me do different motions and stated I was incredibly flexible.  However, when she felt my spine she said I was really tight which was suprising because most pregnant women were loose and easy to work on.  She also said that "We are going to have to get you loosened up especially if you are going to try for a vaginal birth."  I go back today but once I started thinking about it I'm wondering what exactly that means, I'm really flexible but tight?</p>

·
Registered
999 Posts
<p>it's possible for certain muscles/tendons/ligaments to be quite flexible (for example, if you can lift your leg while laying down and almost kiss your knee) but have other muscles really tight (the ones that hold your body upright). there were probably a few spots that were extremely tight, but not others :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>i keep meaning to see a chiro. i've got sciatic pain like crazy, and i know they can work wonders, but i just can't seem to get my act together and get it done. which is dumb, because i'd feel SO much better!</p>

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
<p>I credit my chiro with the fact that I can still walk.  I'm not pain-free, but I'm mobile.  It was touchy there for a while.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts