Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I looked at Trabot's cheat sheet, but I find it just overwheliming, there's no way I could ever look at ALL those links!. Could someone pick out 3 or 5 or 6 top things to read? I am especially concerned bc my dd is due for her MMR shot in a couple weeks. I haven't even made her 1 yr. appt, because I don't know what to do in regards to vax'ing. I just read in the archives about MMR and allergies, and I have a TONNE of them.<br>
So far, she has had the 2, 4 and 6 month DPT.<br>
I would appreciate the help in making this decision.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The MMR insert used to state it was to be given at 15 months, and that it wasn't very effective if given 12 months and below...so that gives you 3 months of time to do some reading.<br><br>
However, if you need more time, simply reschedule for a time that is more convenient for you.<br><br>
Bottom line, there is no evidence proven either way the safety, or lack of, this vaccine. Ask the dr for a guarantee that the vaccine won't harm you child.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
ah, I hear you, there are a lot of choices in the cheat sheet. I did it that way for people to pick and choose. But I hear you.<br><br>
Listen, go to the one for the cdc, it is the first link I have up (I think) go to the hard numbers.<br><br>
Last time I looked about a month ago there was something like 40 cases of measles in the US.<br>
Rubella is low as is mumps.<br><br>
I'm older. I had my son at 43 so I remember all three of those diseases when I was a kid. Kids stayed home from school, watched a lot of tv and then went back to school. that was it. And I should say during that time there were many more cases of measles all through school and I still didn't get it.<br><br>
the rubella issue which is more complex is really about pregnant women coming in contact with rubella the worry is not about little kids getting rubella. the average case number of pregnant women coming in contact with rubella is 25 a year.<br><br>
for me, the creepiness of letting those live viruses get into my son's intestines in that manner..was too much for me. Plus the autism/mmr issue was too much for me. That coupled with my own memories of these diseases when I was a kid made me say...'no."<br><br>
also, my pediatrician is older, he is old enough where he could have been my pediatrician. I think. Anyway, when he heard we were delaying he didn't feel inclined to push MMR. He was more about pertussis and hib. But not MMR. I beleive he remembers the old days too.<br><br>
If you don't remember anything from my cheat sheet, please remember this. YOu are not obliged to have all of your RESEARCH done by your child's well baby visit. You take your time on this. You make your decision when you are ready. It is YOUR time schedule not your doctor's. Just say, " we're delaying for right now." The end. And when you are ready with you decision and comfortable with it then you can do it.<br><br>
Good luck.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
one other thing.<br><br>
why don't you get this book,<br>
Smart Medicine for a healthier child. bob roundtree et al<br><br>
It is a good all purpose book and it tells you how to treat the diseases if your child should get them. When I saw that it confirmed my understanding that they are very, very treatable.

·
Registered
726 Posts
This one's gonna be easy for you.<br><br>
One book, 150 pages long, great chapter on measles.<br><br>
What Every Parent Should Know About Childhood Immunization<br><br>
by Jamie Murphy<br><br><br>
It doesn't get any simpler or more convincing,<br><br><br>
Ray

·
Banned
188 Posts
Er...AmandaC, from that second article you attached, I took this :<br><br>
"In most cases of autism, no cause is apparent. In a few cases, biologic causes have been identified, although none are unique to autism. Some prenatal factors include <b>intrauterine rubella</b>; tuberous sclerosis; chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down's syndrome; as well as brain abnormalities, such as hydrocephalus."<br><br>
Does this not perhaps suggest that FAR more research needs to be done into whether Rubella vaxing could cause Autism, as Rubella has been shown to cause Autism in utero...????? Why would it SUDDENLY stop being a threat???<br><br>
A very puzzled Lil.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts