Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a pattern for a crocheted pouch sling and was wondering what is the most UNSTRETCHY yarn out there?
cotton? acryclic? wool? (or maybe yarn that always 100% goes back to its original size/shape?--ie. lycra/cotton??)

or what about if i made it out of wool and felted it? would that take all the stretch out? if i did, how would i know how big to make it in the first place so it wont be too small after washing/felting? (ie. a certain percentage shrinkage?) and how would i soften it up after felting cuz i find it makes it itchy/stiff

any links to online shops with good prices??

thanks

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
I'd think a nylon or poly would be least stretchy
Could you do a swatch of a few to try out. My yarn shop has remnants that you can buy for cheap

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no, i dont have a pattern i'm just making one as i go along (trying)

so u think i should felt the wool first?
or u mean after?
i dont know how big i'd have to make it b4 felting so that it wouldnt be too small.
any ideas?

re: cotton, so even if u tug on it, it doesnt stretch much?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
well, it depends on what you mean by stretchy yarn, LOL. Cotton yarn itself has NO stretch to it, but when it knits up, the fabric it creates stretches like the dickens becuase cotton has no resiliency (it won't grab on to each other and hold.) Now, wool has a bit of nautral stretch in the yarn (if you hold it between two fingers and pull you'll be able to move it a bit) but the finished fabric doesn't have nearly the stretch as cotton or viscose does.

You'd have to do a gauge swatch and measure it pre-felting and post felting to see how it shrinks, then do your pattern according to the finished felted measurements.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was thinking about crocheting a sling also. I use a Rebozo and love it. Mine was hand woven in 100% acrylic in mexico so I think that might work in crocheting also. But I really don't know what I am talking about. I just started crocheting and have only done 3 soakers in the last week. My Rebozo gives a little, and I think that makes it a better fit.

http://www.mamascasa.com/rebozoway/projects/gallery/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.