Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have PCOS. It took me two years and a round of Clomid to get pregnant with my son due to a lack of ovulation. He is now almost 19 months old and I would like to get pregnant again. I may have had a miscarriage last month (VERY heavy bleeding and cramping). The GYN I saw said it was just because it had been four months since my last period, though I've gone more than 10 months before and not had anything like that. I had two chemical pregnancies before my son and I almost lost him (threatened miscarriage in the first trimester). I took Vitex twice a day for about four months and still had no period.

I have a follow-up appointment with the GYN in a couple of weeks to check on my ovarian cysts and to check on what they thought was an endometrial polyp, but which may have been a blood clot. I spoke to her at my last appointment about using Clomid again, but she refuses to prescribe it because I'm still nursing my son, even though Clomid is safe during nursing. I irritated her last time because I refused to have a pelvic so she could feel my ovarian cyst.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to control my PCOS? I crave sugar a LOT and I think it's because my blood sugar gets low. I've been told that a very low-sugar diet can help control it, but I'm leery of cutting out sugar because I crave it so much that I feel my body needs it.
2. Does anyone have any info regarding the safety of Clomid during breastfeeding that I could print out and take to my appointment? I haven't been able to find anything online.
3. I will have a transabdominal and a vaginal ultrasound before my appointment. Will she still insist on feeling the cyst for herself? I'm afraid she'll refuse to do anything for me if I refuse the pelvic. I get the feeling she refused to give me Clomid last time because I refused to submit to the pelvic and/or wean my son.
4. Should I just tell her I've weaned? I don't see how it matters anyway, since my periods returned 10 months ago.
5. Are there any other treatments I should bring up at the appointment that she may be more amenable to?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't have all your answers, but I'll share what I know.

From what I understand you can control PCOS with diet- and you are right its low sugar, like a diabetic diet. Craving anything does not mean you need it- its more like an addiction to a drug.... according to my reading. Just because your body wants it doesn't make it good. Eating a balanced diet with lots of snacks should help, but there are whole books on special diets.

There are also medications for PCOS- I can't think of the name though- that might help.... (someone else help her out here?)

I don't see why you'd need a pelvic after all those ultrasounds- and if your OB doesn't respect your wishes, you may want to find a different one.

In general dr's don't like to treat infertility in nursing moms because of decreased success. Just because your periods have been regular doesn't mean that your prolactin or progesterone levels are in the right range to concieve- so request blood work to check those (if you haven't already). Those are both altered by nursing.

Good luck with your appointment.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention - I'm military, so I'm stuck with whatever GYN they assign me to at the base hospital. I can't afford to go to a civilian GYN. They checked my hormone levels and said everything looked normal, even my androgen levels, though I'm still considered to have PCOS because I have other symptoms like cysts, irregular periods, excess facial hair, and thyroid disfunction.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi Minkajane,

I can help with one little part of this, and that's the sugar craving part of the PCOS. OTMama is right.

You're craving sugar because of something called insulin resistance. It's actually the opposite of diabetes. When diabetics eat sugar, they get high blood sugar readings because they don't produce insulin, which helps cells absorb the sugar. But when somebody with insulin resistance eats sugar or simple carbs (white bread, rice or potatoes), the body responds by sending out wayyy toooo much insulin. Your system is flooded with insulin, which sends your blood sugar levels plummeting. Then you feel hypoglycemic--that dull, low energy, spacy feeling. The body craves sugar to come back up, but that just sets off the cycle again, releasing tons of insulin and leading to another huge drop of blood sugar. It's a steep roller coaster that wreaks havoc on your ovaries. The insulin spikes throw off the delicate hormone balance in the ovaries and the result is follicles that don't release eggs. Hence infertility and for some, cysts.

Many of us are prescribed glucophage, also known as Metformin or Fortamet. This pill helps regulate cell absorbtion of sugars, reducing the insulin spikes.

But diet is essential. As my doctor put it, the goal is to stop the cycle of highs and lows by reducing sugar intake and increasing proteins and good fats. This is NOT Atkins or all-protein. I eat plenty of carbs, but only with healthy servings of lean protein. And I do still eat chocolate, but never on an empty stomach. For example, I'll have fish or chicken or even steak with a salad and veggies, plus a little complex carbs and of course a small amount of chocolate. It was hard at first, but after a few weeks the cravings wore off. If there is no sugar spike, there won't be a slump or low that leads to sugar cravings. I also have to eat something every two to three hours to prevent bottoming-out. But the best snacks are string cheese, almonds, apple-with-peanut-butter, or plain yogurt with fresh fruit--always include some protein. I feel like I actually eat more, but I've lost weight at the same time.

I hope this makes sense. There is tons of info on the internet, just google PCOS and Insulin Resistance. Surprisingly, some doctors don't even know about or understand insulin resistance!!

good luck!
Leslie

·
Registered
535 Posts
and one more thing...

All my hormone levels checked out fine, too. It took a Glucose Tolerance Test (like the gestational diabetes test) to diagnose my insulin resistance.

L.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the things that really confused me was that my gestational diabetes test came out totally normal. I guess it makes sense now. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts