Mothering Forum banner

Questions for licensed knitting WAHM's...

673 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  JenniferC
I am thinking about getting a license, but have questions:

1) Is there still a strong market for soakers/longies/yarn??

2) How much should I set aside to start?

3) How would I set up a website, with graphics and all?

4)How can I find out if a biz name is already taken?

That is all I can think of for now, but I would like you to tell me all that I should know before going into it. I have a company in mind to go with, but want to be informed before jumping in, yk?

Thanks!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I can try to answer a few. We are still in our first year...

The soaker/longies world is getting kinda saturated... there are a LOT of us... just look at hyenacart and see how many knitting moms there are. Its definitely NOT a business where you can just open a store and immediately start making millions. Its tough to start out. And it could take several YEARS to build a solid client-base, and a name for yourself.

Starting expenses that I can think of off the top of my head: your license fee, website domain and design costs. hosting costs. materials, any advertising...

for the website, we went to Heather at Very Commerce, and our web design is through Marnie at Cushie Designs*. We have our shopping cart through hyenacart. There are other avenues, though.

for the biz name, we just brainstormed a few, then did a check to see if the domains were available (I can't remember the name of the site we used to check it, though -- maybe someone else does?).
Quote:

Originally Posted by meritodd1221
The soaker/longies world is getting kinda saturated... there are a LOT of us... just look at hyenacart and see how many knitting moms there are. Its definitely NOT a business where you can just open a store and immediately start making millions. Its tough to start out. And it could take several YEARS to build a solid client-base, and a name for yourself.
Okay, that is what I was wondering. I was thinking it might be fierce competition.

My other idea would be to have an internet yarn store. Selling brands of yarn, WAHM yarn, and eventually, my own hand-dyed yarn. Would there be a market for that?
Meri is right- the knitting biz is incredibly over saturated right now. Since the board split here the 'hyena' craze has dampened. Quite a few people went from buying soakers to knitting their own.

I think a yarn shop would be pretty competitive also.
There are about 12 trillion yarn stores out there right now, too.
What you need is something fresh, a new angle to liven things up.
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.