Mothering Forum banner

Questions for nursing past 12 months

435 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Anna Phor 
#1 ·
I rarely post here but read when I have a moment :) I'm a FTM and my DS is 10.5 months. Nursing is going great. My goal always was a year but I'm contemplating nursing until he self weans as I see no reason why I should stop just because he turns 1yo (I'm sure I'll get flack from some friends). Anyway, one of my questions of nursing past a year... do you still pump when you "miss a session" if you are away from DS/DD? Do you give them EM in a cup then? Guess I'm a little confused when to offer DS (as he gets older) his milk when I'm out and we're not together. Would hubby only offer the milk at meal times or will DS let him know when he wants his milk? Right now DS pretty predictable when he nurses (when he wakes for the day, after naps - sometimes before naps and before bed). Right now, If I'm away my husband obviously gives him the EM in a bottle. If I'm away at DS bed time, would hubby just give him EM in a cup or will he eventually not need the milk at bedtime when I'm not home?

Sorry if these are some stupid questions... just trying to figure it all out at this stage :)

Thanks for your input!

#2 ·
It depends on the kid. Many times I think they won't comfort nurse if you're not around - you can have some EM available for a bedtime, but if it's like the mid-afternoon comfort nurse - they won't ask for it if you're not around. Your DH can develop his own bedtime routine that involves comfort that doesn't include nursing, but your DS might still be used to having a little warm milk in his belly!

I don't think you'll have to pump if you miss a feeding - I find that if I go out at night, say, and leave the baby with someone (and a bottle of pumped milk) I have to wear nursing pads because I'll leak, but that it's not so much I have to pump.

Congrats on nursing for almost a year and for planning to continue!
thumb.gif
I nursed DD for 18 mo when she weaned herself and figure this little baby will go at least as long. It's a wonderful experience - I love nursing an older baby and toddler so much!

#4 ·
I was working full-time, and DD continued to want a bottle of milk once a day until she was about 14 months, when she started refusing it most of the time. I never put her milk in cup, because a big part of nursing is the comfort of sucking. a lot is going to depend on your individual child and their needs. I would just keep leaving bottles until the toddler doesn't want them anymore unless pumping becomes a problem for you.

#5 ·
My son is 18 months and I WOH, and he drinks cow's milk when I'm at work. But if I was only gone for 4-5 hours instead of 8-9, he probably wouldn't have any at all. He still nurses at night and the only time he's had EM recently is when I had to do an overnight trip for work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.