Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking it for 4 days now, and have read that you should take it with B6...but I take a b stress complex...do I still need to up my b6 more?

Also, breastfeeding my 7 month old....is it safe? I have read it is and I have read it isn't...is there anything concret out there?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I would like to know this as well. I am also bfing my 7 month old and, I think it was on Kellymom, I read that it may lower the milk supply and since I dealt with low milk supply and subsequent nipple confusion a few months ago, I don't want to try it and risk it unless I know more about it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I don't think there have been any studies on 5htp in breastfeeding moms, so there would be no evidence available to say that it's safe. Many women on the board try it, however. If you do, don't start it with a bunch of other things so that you can monitor how it's affecting you. You can definitely get too much of a good thing in this case. On the B6, it depends on how much is in the B complex. Most people take about 50 mg of B6, some higher. If you can remember your dreams in the morning, or even remember that you've had dreams, you probably don't need more B-6 (but I wouldn't worry about the B6 in the B complex).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts