Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These questions might sound really silly....

1. If I plan to bf but also plan to go back to work after four months, how do I continue to give breast milk during the hours I'm not with the baby? (I can't bring the baby back to work with me as there isn't any child care)

2. Do I need a breast pump and then use a bottle? Or is it possible that if I'm working I can change the breast feeding schedule around those hours (it would only be p/t work - half days). This question also applies to if we're going out at night or for a day and require a babysitter....

3. If I do need a breast pump, can someone recommend a good brand and waht type of bottles are good?

4. And do I just breast pump for that day or do I start "stock-piling and freezing" it a few weeks in advance?

Thanks for all of your wisdome and advice!!!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
1. If I plan to bf but also plan to go back to work after four months, how do I continue to give breast milk during the hours I'm not with the baby? (I can't bring the baby back to work with me as there isn't any child care)

You will need a breast pump and bottles for this, although the number of bottles you'll need will depend on your working hours. You won't know how often your baby needs to eat until it gets here, but you can estimate every 2-3 hours it will need a feed. Not likely to go much longer than that except possibly at night. But since you wouldn't be gone all day, it should be easier to pump the necessary amount.

3. If I do need a breast pump, can someone recommend a good brand and waht type of bottles are good?

I've heard good things about the Medela Pump-In-Style. The two pumps I've used would be the Medela Lactina (hospital rental - more power than you need for working) and the Avent Isis (manual pump). I used the Lactina when my DS was in the NICU for 4 weeks and I had to pump exclusively for him (preemie). I used the Isis when he got home and I only needed very occasional pumpings. But if I were going back to work, I'd probably go for the PIS mentioned above.

For bottles... This will really depend on your baby. Don't get a huge stock in one brand of bottles/nipples. Get a few things to try at first (while you're at home - but only AFTER bf'ing is well established... then let DH give an occasional bottle to get her used to getting one), and once you figure out what your child will take and do well with, you can get as many as you need of that bottle and nipple. I used Avent bottles, but DS was never at all picky about bottle nipples, and he didn't get bottles enough to have any gas issues or other such problems.

4. And do I just breast pump for that day or do I start "stock-piling and freezing" it a few weeks in advance?

I think stock-piling is always good.
For one thing, there may be occasional days when something comes up during your normal pumping time, and you have to miss a pumping. Or maybe your baby will have a growth spurt and need more than you usually send with her. Having a stockpile makes all that easier.
I had a HUGE stockpile when DS got home from the NICU. I had to throw it out months later, and I was really sad to do that, but it was long expired. Still sad even though I knew it wasn't usable!

I'm a SAHM, so I didn't need to pump very often, but when I had a doctor's appt or something like that, I'd leave DS with my mom and a bottle of my pumped milk. Having a freezer full helped SOOOOO much. Just remember that milk is only good for so long! You can find info online about that (I've forgotten the numbers).

Also, find out when your local LLL group meets and try to go to meetings now. This will help you have a local resource of real live people who can help you not only with bf'ing in general, but also pump selection, any pumping difficulties you might have, logistics of pumping and going to work, etc. LLL is awesome, and I strongly recommend you go to meetings before the baby comes. If you know the leaders, then you will be more likely to pick up the phone and call them if you need help, and I've seen so many moms give up on bf'ing because they were afraid to call an LLL leader. And LLL provides support for FREE, so there's really no reason not to call them if you need them.
And even if everything is peachy and you bf and pump easily with no problems, it's still helpful just to have all those other moms to talk to who have a similar mindset as you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts