Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 week old DS that i am interested in starting to EC...But i am having troubles finding info on starting this early (most of the EC info i am seeing is for older infants)

So what is the best way to start? I am assuming letting him go nakey butt all day to see when he actually goes??? B/C as it is...i can never tell with his cloth dipes unless it leaks
Poopies are easier to know, except it seems like he takes hours to actually do the deed

I would love to hear anyones advice on how to start or atleast try this.

My Dh is gonna think i am nuts
Took me months to convince him Cloth dipes were the way to go

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We didn't start that young, but I know a lot of mamas here have so I'm sure they'll have lots of help for you.

I'd assume you just start. All of our misses happen when I put DS down...Babywearing will definitely put the odds in your favor. Keep him close, I see nothing wrong with cuing that early either.

So ya, go diaper free when ya can, babywear to help stay connected, and cue him any time you notice him peeing. You can also offer a pottytunity upon wakening and shortly after feeds- you'll eventually find his rhythm.

Good luck mama!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I started when my little guy was 2wks --- he's 7wks now.

We wear prefolds during the day - they're not too thick (and DS pees alot when he goes) so I can tell as soon as I've missed taking him to the potty.
u
Everytime I change a wet diaper I take him to the potty just in case he has to go more (often he does_). I also take him to the potty when I think he might need to go - after waking, after nursing, after changing positions, after being carried around alot in the sling.... I have plenty of misses but lots of catches too!

Just have fun with it! Make it fit your lifestyle
:

·
Registered
162 Posts
You might check out Ingrid Bauer's book Diaper Free! Loads of good info and she loosely recommends starting between 2 and 6 weeks (if not from birth). My babe is 7 weeks old and we just started this week. I was a little nervous but it is much easier that I thought. Just jump right in and you'll see!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice...i like the prefold idea....sorta like potty training a toddler

1 - 5 of 5 Posts