Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share this "recipe" (I'm not one to write things down or keep track of quantities so bear with me).

I made it for a party this weekend and everyone went nuts about it. It's a recipe that started as a chicken broth, cream-based pumpkin soup that we got from a friend a few years ago and it has been evolving ever since.

While it's quick and easy to make...the key is to make it ahead (like the day before ideally) and let all the flavors blend.

2 cans pumpkin
Fresh pumpkin or butternut squash "meat" - peeled and steamed (adding fresh pumpkin/squash is optional but I think it makes it even better)
4-6 cups of vegetable broth (I usually start with around four and then add more water/broth as needed)
About 1/2 to 1 tablespon of curry (to taste)
A pinch of cinnamon
About a tablespoon of maple syrup and/or honey (to taste)

Add all the ingredients to a pot and let simmer for at least an hour or so (more if you can) - stirring often and checking the consistency...if too watery cook uncovered for a while. If too thick...add a little water/broth and cook covered for a while.

If you use fresh pumpkin/squash then you need to puree the soup (in a blender or using a hand blender) before serving. I like to chill it overnight in the fridge and then heat it up to serve the next day.

Other things I've added to the soup are:

Apple cider
Steamed and peeled apples
Nutmeg

ALWAYS delicious and always a big hit when I make it for fall parties.

You can even serve it in a hollowed out pumpkin!

Hope you like it!

~Erin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.