Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

I actually ended up searching out a recipe that called for all butter. It's that "Neiman Marcus" cookie recipe. Made it with whole wheat pastry flour and they turned out oh, so good

So now Ds and I are sitting snacking on chocolate chip cookies about half an hour before dinner :LOL

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
you can only use all butter if you give them all to me!!!
:LOL

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I always use butter in my cookie recipes. They will have a tendancy to get crispier than with shortning. I use about 1/2 to 3/4 the amount stated in the recipe and don't cook them too long so they stay soft.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heldt123
I always use butter in my cookie recipes. They will have a tendancy to get crispier than with shortning. I use about 1/2 to 3/4 the amount stated in the recipe and don't cook them too long so they stay soft.
I do that too, if I'm using name-brand butter I have to cut back a bit on it. If it's the generic or store-brand, I use a little more (seems to be watered down or something).

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I also use all butter, and I only use 3/4 of the amount in the recipe, it makes them come out less flat/crispy and more cakey. Mmmmmm.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by funshine
I also use all butter, and I only use 3/4 of the amount in the recipe, it makes them come out less flat/crispy and more cakey. Mmmmmm.
Ooh! I love soft cookies, and haven't been able to achieve them as well since getting off shortening and margarine. I do underbake them slightly, but I didn't know cutting back on the butter would help. I'll try this next time.

My fave recipe is the one in the Betty Crocker Big Red Book. It's similar to the ones usually on the back of the chocolate chips.

Oh, and Darth Mix M&M's are a great substitution for chips.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The reason some recipes call for half butter and half Crisco or shortening is because all-butter cookies tend to burn easily. Avoid baking on a black or dark cookie sheet. This will make the bottoms of your cookies dark if you use all butter.

Airbake cookie sheets are heaven-sent!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.